One of my coworkers has the following as their About Me on slack:

小老板不说话装糕手 多捞哦

As someone who recently joined this company, I'm embarrassed to admit I don't know what it means - I can translate it, but I don't think I have the cultural(?) context to understand what it's saying. Specifically, I'm not sure what 糕手 should translate to (cake hand?). How should I make sense of this phrase?

• 糕手 sounds like “高手”.
    – dan
    Feb 1, 2022 at 12:38
  • "多捞哦", sounds like Cantonese, anybody knows what it means?
    – r13
    Feb 2, 2022 at 1:07
  • Yes, I believe it's a play on 糕 & 高. If so, then the co-workers are giving what is called a playful backhanded compliment, with no malice involved, I hope, because 糕, (pastry), in full is 蛋糕, and 蛋, could also morph to 笨蛋, "a fool", which via this convoluted route we get 糕手, or, "butter fingers", (butter being a main ingredient in pastry) I could of course be completely wrong. Feb 2, 2022 at 2:26
  • @r13 it is a quote from a famous Chines league of legend streamer(大司马). 多捞哦 means the played very bad. Like "trolling" used by English streamer of the game. Feb 2, 2022 at 15:48
  • @Archeosudoerus So, strictly speaking, both the 糕手 and the 多捞哦 are slangs created after the internet gaming, correct?
    – r13
    Feb 2, 2022 at 16:05

1 Answer 1

It is a reference to a popular league of legend streamer. 糕手 is 高手 (pro).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.