Why it is very hard to find the Chữ Nôm for the very common Hanzi 有 ?
Maybe this Hanzi was not so used in the past ?
This looks very strange, and any light on it is welcome !

• You should try a Vietnamese site for luck.
    – r13
    Mar 7, 2022 at 21:18
    Your question doesn't make sense - it's like asking to convert the English letter A into the Swedish alphabet. 「有」 already exists in Vietnamese Hán-Nôm, what exactly are you looking for by "converting it to Chữ Nôm"?
    – dROOOze
    Mar 8, 2022 at 9:20
  • When i was looking for Chữ Nôm of 有 and 打 (the name of my company : 打有 ) i succeeded to find Chữ Nôm of 打 : đánh. But strangely i was unable to find the Chữ Nôm for 有. The very interesting website chunom.org doesn't give any Chữ Nôm for this very common hanzi. More : on the other very interesting website nomfoundation.org/nom-project/tale-of-kieu/… gives a very small frequency for 有 (hữu) in the well known "tale-of-kieu" and i still wonder why frequency is so different from the use in Chinese (有 is ninth in frequency).
    – faure
    Mar 8, 2022 at 13:39
  • @dROOOze I am sorry, maybe something went wrong : i think we do not speak about the same thing. The content of this page : www.thivien.net/Hồ-Chí-Minh/Nguyên-tiêu/poem-9nGoTWzYHnMiK0mDAEFGOA may have misled me : Chữ Nôm is the first part (hanzis) or the second part which is not Vietnamese ? I take the first part for usual hanzis, since they seem to not be written in an other way ! i'm puzzled :-)
    – faure
    Mar 9, 2022 at 8:27
    đánh is the Quốc ngữ of 「打」 (not Chữ Nôm). On that page, Nguyên tiêu is the Quốc ngữ transliteration of the poem 「元宵」 (which is written in Classical Chinese), and the section under Dịch nghĩa (譯義, which means translation) is the Vietnamese translation of 「元宵」. There is no Chữ Nôm on that page.
    – dROOOze
    Mar 9, 2022 at 8:35

1 Answer 1

有 hữu isn't used in Vietnamese, which is why you don't see it on Chữ Nôm websites. It is only used in Literary Chinese texts (漢文; Hán văn; 文言文). "打有" can be transliterated into Vietnamese as "Đả Hữu". Đánh is the Nôm reading (喃) of 打, while đả is the Sino-Vietnamese reading (漢). It would still be written as 打有.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.