While I was trying to read a Chinese novelette, I came across this sentence:

白色衬衫和褐色裤子,这是他唯一一套体面衣服,衬衫袖口磨了边,他把袖子卷到胳膊肘。

My initial guess was that 磨边 would mean something such as the edge of something, but it doesn't make sense in this sentence.

Can someone help me? I also don't understand why there is a 了 between 磨 and 边. Is 磨边 a separable word?

3 Answers 3

磨 means worn, or damaged, which is used as a verb in this sentence, and 边 means the edges. When you put a "了" in the middle, The meaning of “磨了边” is 'The “边” has been “磨”', to describe that the shirt has been worn for a long time.

磨了边: worn at the edges

白色衬衫和褐色裤子,
A white shirt and brown trousers,
这是他唯一一套体面衣服,
are his only presentable clothes,
衬衫袖口磨了边,
the cuffs worn at the edges,
他把袖子卷到胳膊肘。
he rolls the sleeves up to his elbows.

• What gives the meaning of wearing in the sentence? What is the function of 边 there? I don't quite understand this structure Mar 24, 2022 at 23:45
  • 边 = the edge (of the cuffs) propercloth.com/reference/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/…
    – Tang Ho
    Mar 25, 2022 at 3:43
  • @Vinícius do Carmo Melício I could have written "frayed" instead of "worn". Look it up!
    – Pedroski
    Mar 25, 2022 at 4:09
  • @ViníciusdoCarmoMelício please see Jack Chen's answer about where is the meaning of wearing from.
    – ALife
    Mar 25, 2022 at 5:41

衬衫袖口磨了边 - The end of the cuff of his shirt is worn due to years of rubbing with the wrist and hard objects. This is a descriptive phrase that echos 他唯一一套体面衣服 (his only presentable shirt) to make the point - he is either quite poor or a money savor (節省/簡的人).

"了" indicates the action (磨) on the object (袖口) is completed in the time past.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.