Now that I've taken the HSK6 exam, I'm looking into writing a kind of "graduate thesis", so I'm going through the HSK words filling in gaps in my knowledge. Who knows, maybe one day I'll become a Chinese teacher. With this in mind...

CC-CEDICT: 感兴趣 (gǎn​xìng​qù​) to be interested

This word is not in my dictionary, and I'm guessing that's because the dictionary considers it a collocation of two words:

CC-CEDICT: 感 (gǎn​) to feel / to move / to touch / to affect / feeling / emotion / (suffix) sense of ~
CC-CEDICT: 兴趣 (​xìng​qù​) interest (desire to know about sth) / interest (thing in which one is interested) / hobby / CL: 個|个

Thus, I'm wondering if it's better to interpret 感兴趣 as two words, or if there is some concrete reason (that I'm missing) why 感兴趣 is better interpreted as one word.

Question: Is it pedagogically better to interpret 感兴趣 as two words: 感 ("feel") and 兴趣 ("interest")?

(Just in case someone needs the definition: pedagogical: of, relating to, or befitting a teacher or education.)

• This is a phrase made up by v (感, feel) + adj (兴趣, interested). A similar phrase is 有 (have, v) + 兴趣 (interest, noun).
    – r13
    Apr 10 at 15:52
  • Yes, I think this is how I understand this word.
    – Youran
    Apr 10 at 17:10
  • can't answer your question, but recall some memory when I was young. As a native speaker, I didn't learn a definition of "word" when I was in school. My concept was wrong: word=字, phrase=詞=兩字或以上. I had little concept about "word" and all my concept was about "character". It was until I've graduated from school when I realized "oh! I was wrong, should be 字=character, 詞=word"
    – HYC
    Apr 15 at 2:49

2 Answers 2

感兴趣 (feel interested) is functionally a compound word for "be interested in"

Example:

对钓鱼[感兴趣]的人通常也爱远足 - People who are [interested in] fishing usually also enjoy hiking

我对钓鱼不[感兴趣] - I am not [interested in] fishing

爱 (love) > 喜欢 (like) > 感兴趣 (be interested in)> 不介意 (don't mind)

I say it is functionally a compound word and not a two words phrase because the verb 感(feel) is usually followed by an adjective

[倍感][孤单] 、 [深感][厭惡] 、 [大感][兴奋]、 [微感][寒冷]

But 兴趣 is a noun. It is very common to see compound verbs made up of [v + n]

[驾车] is made up of [驾] + [车]

[唱歌]is made up of [唱] +[歌]

[感兴趣] is made up of [感] + [兴趣]

兴趣 is a noun.

Seems to be saying:

a verb plus an object noun is a noun.

If that is true,

感兴趣 is a noun

If that is not true, 兴趣 is not a noun.

Can you clarify? When is a noun not a noun?

兴:举办,发动:兴办。兴工。兴学。兴建。兴叹(发出感叹声,如“望洋兴兴”)。百废待兴。

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.