I wonder what's the purpose of 了 in combination of "must, have to" verbs. Here are some examples:

1. 我得把今天的练习做了。 I know without 了 it would mean "I must do today's exercises". But I don't know what changes does the particle 了 bring here? Is this 了1 or 了2?

2. 我该回去了。 Without 了 it would mean "I must return". But I don't know how to translate this sentence with 了.

3. 您不要出来了。 Without 了 it would mean "You shouldn't come out". What's the difference between the sentence above with "您不要出来".

• 不要 = don't; 该 = should; 得 = have to; 了 can be a particle that indicates the verb is completed but it is a final particle in these sentences
    – Tang Ho
    Apr 12, 2022 at 10:17

2 Answers 2

The word 了 usually doesn't change the meaning of the text.

1. The word 了 is often used after verbs and adjectives to mean that something has finished. 2. Also used at the end of a sentence or a stop which means that something will or has already changed

Examples:

1. (1) 我吃完饭了 —— I am done eating (吃 is a verb and it means something has finished)
  2. (1) 水位已经降了两米 —— The water level has been lowered by two meters (降 is a verb)
  3. (2) 春天要来了——Spring is coming (The season will change soon)
  4. (2) 天黑了——It's dark already (already changed)

When at the end of a sentence, 了 has two functions/meanings:

1. to indicate a change of state - something has been completed. 長大了, 變老了, 水位降低了...

2. to inform the beginning of an action.

• 我得把今天的练习做了。(I must start to do today's homework)

• 我该回去了。(I shall go home now)

• 您不要出来了 = 您不要出来 (You do not need to come out), the former way is more polite. Also 您不出来 is often used too.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.