It seems 具备 and 条件 form a collocation, such as:

……,我具备今年参加司法考试的所有的条件,……
..., I possess all of this year's judicial test's requirements, ...
Source: random Chinese government website.

However, this doesn't make sense in English: the "requirements" don't belong to "me", they belong to someone else: I can't possess someone else's requirements (however, I could satisfy them, or I could have the qualifications). So I have no intuition on how this works.

My dictionary gives the definitions:

具备:(动) 具有;齐备
条件:(名) 1: 形象事物存在和发展变化的诸因素。 2: 规定应遵守的要求、标准。 3: 状况。

It seems like 我具备……条件 doesn't make sense in Chinese for the same reason: the 条件 belong to someone else, therefore I cannot 具备 them. Thus, if it was me writing, I would use 我具备……所需要的资格 or 我满足……所有的条件.

Question: How do I make sense of 具备……条件?

• How about, in this context, translate 条件 as "qualifying requirements"? And 具备 as "meet" or as you say "satisfy" So, the English version goes like "I meet / satisfy all of this year's judicial test's qualifying requirements" And, yes, a singular translation of 具备 as "possess" is restrictive in English which ordinarily confines "possess" to something that amounts to "ownership", or "personal belongings", rather than "possessing" a certain personal "attribute" which is what 具备 is meant in this context. Commented Apr 14, 2022 at 2:40

3 Answers 3

条件: requirement; condition; required qualification

条件 here should be interpreted as 'required qualification ' not 'requirement'

具备今年参加司法考试的所有的条件

I possess all of this year's judicial test's required qualifications

More Example:

Hire the qualified = Hire the qualified (applicant)

Help the poor = Help the poor (people)

Have all the required = Have all the required (elements)

Disambiguation:

• 有条件的人择偶会比较容易 - The ones who have required qualities have an easier time finding a mate

• 让你入会是有条件的 - Your admission is conditional

• 入会的条件是月入超过十万美元 = The requirement for joining the club is a monthly income over $100,000/ The required qualification for joining the club is a monthly income over $100,000

"... the 条件 belong to someone else, therefore I cannot 具备" - Wrong.

In concerns of personal qualifications, 条件 can be interpreted as 資格, for example,

• 我有(具备)条件去參加.... = 我有(具备)資格去參加...

• 条件不夠. = 我資格不夠. "不夠" = "不具备".

The uses of these two words differ slightly. "資格" is more pertaining to the personal education, experience, and moral qualifications; 条件 covers the former two qualifications, physical conditions, and social-economic status of a person. Both can be possessed by anybody, including self.

• an upvote for the interpretation 条件 as 资格
    – HYC
    Commented Apr 14, 2022 at 8:21

Don't see any problem with "requirements". Certain preconditions are necessary before you may sit the exam.

我具备今年参加司法考试的所有的条件.
I have all the requirements for participating in this year's Judicial Official Exam.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.