This question is triggered after reading the post "What does 本 in 本科教育 or 本科学历 mean?" In which, the word 本 was well explained, how about 科?

2 Answers 2

科 = 学科 (course; subject; branch of learning; field of study)

e.g. 医科,理科,工科,文科 (Medicine, Science, Engineering, Literature)

I study Medicine at the university = 我在大学修读医科(医学)

• Considering the university offers a collection of subjects in different branches, so 本科 means initial/basic subjects?
    – r13
    May 6, 2022 at 21:25
  • @tianz So 本科 means 'four years study of a collection of subjects' and 专科 means 'three years study of a specific subject'? This means 本 in 本科 refers to 'general/ full' and 专 in 专科 refers to 'specific'
    – Tang Ho
    May 6, 2022 at 21:51
  • May I ask who is @tianz?
    – r13
    May 7, 2022 at 0:42
  • he deleted his comment
    – Tang Ho
    May 7, 2022 at 0:43
  • I see. I think it reflects the type of study - 本科, the same as the undergraduate degree that requires finishing certain studies within a certain time frame. 专科, with the time frame shortened, is focused on a certain field with studies narrowly tailored (concentrated) to that field. If the above stand correct, can we say 科 is "field of study", or just "study"?
    – r13
    May 7, 2022 at 1:16

本科:基本科目

基本basic
科目 field of study

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.