In this phrase: 尾班車開出前5分鐘, is meant to signify “5 minutes before the departure of the last train”.

I find the structure a bit strange for me. In my mind, I would have thought of something like: 尾班車開出5分鐘前.

I am familiar with the structure: “event 之前” to mean “before the event”, but i am unsure how to create a phrase with added modifiers like time or place.

Please provided some insights.

• This phrase is the simplified version of "在尾班車開出之前的5分鐘内". May 13, 2022 at 5:46

3 Answers 3

Both the two sentences "尾班車開出前5分鐘" and "尾班車開出5分鐘前" are fine with the former less prone to misconception. The listener could have missed "前" in the latter sentence when in a hurry, then the sentence becomes "尾班車開出5分鐘~*#@", and he can be late by 5 minutes. :)

The equivalent English sentences:

• 尾班車開出前5分鐘 - 5 minutes prior to the departure of the bus.

• 尾班車開出5分鐘前 - 5 minutes before to the departure of the bus.

Essentially, there is no difference.

尾班車開出5分鐘前 has 歧义: it has another reading as before the last bus has departed for 5 mins. This problem is created because different possible syntactical analyses lead to different semantic meanings. 開出5分鐘|前 is possible (more natural), so is 開出|5分鐘前.

However, if you change 前 to 后, it works. 尾班車開出5分鐘后 has no 歧义 because 開出5分鐘|后 (after the bus departed for 5 mins) and 開出|5分鐘后 (5 mins after the bus departed) leads to the same meaning.

This structure of 尾班車開出前5分鐘 is better since it has no 歧义 and also the reason brought up by @r13. 前 is more emphasized and less likely to miss.

1. 尾班車開出前(的)[5分鐘] --> [the five minutes] before the last train departs

2. 尾班車開出(的)[5分鐘前] --> [at five minutes before] the last train departs

#1 describes the time period 5分鐘 (the five minutes) --> how long before the last train departs

#2 describes the exact time 5分鐘前 (at five minutes before)

Similarly:

1. 尾班車開出後(的)[5分鐘] --> [the five minutes] after the last train departed

2. 尾班車開出(的)[5分鐘後] --> [at five minutes after] the last train departed

#3 describes the time period 5分鐘 (the five minutes) --> how long after the last train departed

#4 describes the exact time 5分鐘後 (at five minutes after)

Let me put it in context:

• 在尾班車開出前的5分鐘內 車門一直開著 -- During the 5 minutes before the last train leaves, the doors stay open

• 在尾班車開出的5分鐘前 車門才打開 -- Doors opened 5 minutes before the last train left.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.