Which is the correct way to say "what I like most is to sing"? Someone said no. 3. If it is, why we have to use 的 particle?

1. 我最喜欢是唱歌
  2. 我最喜欢唱歌
  3. 我最喜欢的是唱歌

3 Answers 3

我最喜欢的是唱歌 is the only answer that comes close to the original sentence - "what I like most (possessive phrase) is to sing", which can be translated as "什麼是我最喜欢的 - 是唱歌". Note the leading part is a possessive phrase, and after eliminating the first three words, the remaining sentence is - 我最喜欢(possessive particle)是唱歌.

Comment on the other sentences:

• 我最喜欢是唱歌 is grammatically incorrect, as here, both 喜欢(like) and 是(is) are verbs that shouldn't stay next to each other.

• 我最喜欢唱歌 = I like singing the most. This is a correct sentence but with a style different than the original.

They are all correct

1. 我最喜欢唱歌 = I really like to sing(v)

2. 我最喜欢是唱歌 = what I like the most is singing(n) - (among the activities I do)

3. 我最喜欢的是唱歌 = what I like the most is singing(n) - (among the activities I do)

• The difference between 2 and 3 is 的 is omitted in #2

• 的 in 我最喜欢的是唱歌 acts as a pronoun for 'activity'

• 的 in 我最喜欢的歌 is an adjective marker

More example:

我最喜欢的酒吧 = the bar that I like the most

我最喜欢的是酒吧 = 我最喜欢的(地方)是酒吧 = (Place) I like the most is a bar

我最喜欢的約翰 = John whom I like the most

我最喜欢的是約翰 = 我最喜欢的(人)是約翰 = (The person) I like the most is John

• Thank you very much Tang Ho, so as far as I understand, the no. 2 and 3 (in your list) are the same meanning? no difference due lack of 的?
    – Lola
    Jun 11, 2022 at 1:39
  • 我最喜欢是酒吧 (I like the most is a bar) = 我最喜欢(的)是酒吧 = (the place) I like the most is a bar
    – Tang Ho
    Jun 11, 2022 at 1:43

What I like most is singing. (What a pity I can't sing!)
唱歌是我最喜欢的活动。

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.