The Pleco dictionary indicates that 出神 is a separable verb (离合词). Yet, is it possible to separate 出 from 神 in 出神, by something else than an aspect marker (了, 过, 着)?

For instance 出几次神.

• I don't think 出神 is a compound verb. For example: 他聽(verb)的很(adv)出神(adj); 他出神的(adv)想(verb)了想; 他出神(adv)出(verb)了很長的一段時間.
    – r13
    Jun 11 at 11:22
  • It can be an adverb, but it can also be a verb 史佩莱正在出神; 一直望着那张床出神; 但望着珂赛特他还会出神
    – starckman
    Jun 11 at 11:50
  • 史佩莱正在**出神的**(adv)+(verb)+...; 他一直望(verb)着那张床出神(noun); 但望着珂赛特他还会出神 (I don't understand this sentence).
    – r13
    Jun 11 at 12:37
  • 埃纳博先生一动也不动,一直望着那张床出神。; 德纳第大娘向街上望了一眼,就望见珂赛特正在出神。; 他虽已沉入黑暗深处,但望着珂赛特他还会出神。
    – starckman
    Jun 11 at 13:00
  • Note, 出神 can be translated as "empty/absent mind", a phenomenon that is associated with the act of thinking/staring hard, and the mind is concentrated on the object but absent from anything else. I disagree that a verb plus a noun can form another verb, but v + v = v is usually the case.
    – r13
    Jun 11 at 13:02

1 Answer 1

Most of the verbs that are made up of two verbs are inseparable

Most of the verbs that are made up of a verb and a noun are separable

Example:

攻(v) + 擊(v) = 攻擊 (attack)

攻擊(v) is inseparable. It has to be 攻擊了几次, not 攻几次擊

圍(v) + 城(n) = 圍城 (siege)

圍城 (v) is separable. It can be 圍城三年 or 圍了三年城

逃(v) + 跑(v) = 逃跑 (flee)

逃跑 is inseparable. It has to be 逃跑不了, not 逃不了跑

逃(v) + 獄(n) = 逃獄 (escape from prison)

逃獄 is separable. It can be 逃獄七次 or 逃了七次獄

Since 出神 is made up of a verb and a noun, it is separable

It can be 出神片刻 or 出了片刻神

• Is it possible to separate 出 from 神 in 出神, by something else than an aspect marker (了, 过, 着)?
    – starckman
    Jun 11 at 8:40
  • 圍了三年城, 逃了七次獄, 出了片刻神 can do without 了--> 敵人三年不投降我們就圍足三年城, 逃七次獄都不成功, 出片刻神已被對手有機可乘
    – Tang Ho
    Jun 11 at 10:49
  • inseparable verbs cannot be split by 了, 过, or 着. Why exclude them in separable verbs? Most separable verbs that can be split by 了, 过, or 着 can be split by a measure word or an adjective, e.g. 拍照-->拍过照 --> 拍裸照; 吃飯 --> 吃了飯--> 吃一頓飯
    – Tang Ho
    Jun 11 at 11:02
  • Oh, I'm sorry, I missed "or 出了片刻神" at the end of your answer.
    – starckman
    Jun 11 at 11:42

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.