What's the purpose of 的 in the following sentences?

1. 谁说的?

2. 他们来喝茶,喝的是一家人一起吃饭的快乐。

3. 中文的不是买的。(What does this sentence actually mean?)

4. 我会玩的开心。(What does this sentence actually mean?)

• To me 3 is ungrammatical. 4 it should be 我會玩得開心. Many people cannot distinguish between 的, 地 and 得. Jul 10, 2022 at 7:35
  • @BrianCheung: Your first sentence is wrong. Your last two are right.
    – user21820
    Jul 11, 2022 at 16:56

2 Answers 2

Sentences 1 to 3, 的 functions as a nominalizer, i.e. it turns something into a noun.

说 - to say

说的 - the thing that is/was said

喝 - to drink

喝的 - the thing that is/was drunk

中文 - Chinese language

中文的 - the thing that is/was in Chinese

买 - to buy

买的 - the thing that is/was bought

Sentence 1 谁说的?

说的 is the object of the sentence (question, actually). So:

Who said (the thing that was said)? In other words, who said it.

Sentence 2: 他们来喝茶,喝的是一家人一起吃饭的快乐。

They come to drink tea. (The thing that is drunk) is the joy of sharing a meal together as a family.

In other words:

They come to drink tea. What they are drinking is the joy of sharing a meal together as a family.

"Drink" is used figuratively here.

Sentence 3: 中文的不是买的。

(The thing that is in Chinese) is not (a thing that was bought).

The meaning is not immediately obvious, but given a context, it is perfectly grammatical and logical.

You have two books, one in Chinese and one in English, on your desk, and you're telling your friend:

英文的是买的,中文的不是买的。

The English one is bought; the Chinese one is not bought. (Perhaps borrowed from the library? Given by someone? Written by you yourself?... etc.)

Sentence 4: 我会玩的开心。

I agree with others that this is a confusion over 的 and 得.

It should be "我會玩得開心", with 得 as adverb marker.

• Another way of expressing 买的 is 买来的. Jul 11, 2022 at 9:55
  • Isn't 谁说的 just short for 是谁说的? If so, most learners would no this as a "是......的" construction that emphasizes a detail of a past event. Jul 11, 2022 at 15:20
  • @Vegawatcher You're right, but there's probably more than one way to parse a sentence.
    – monalisa
    Jul 12, 2022 at 18:20

What's the purpose of 的 in the following sentences?

(1) 谁说的?

The 的 here functions like "it", i.e. used as the subject of the verb, 说, ("said")

Thus 谁说的? would be translated as "who said it"

(2) 他们来喝茶,喝的是一家人一起吃饭的快乐。

Here the first 的 is for connecting / linking a verb, 喝, and a common noun, 一家人, and the second 的 is for connecting / linking a verb, 一起吃, and an abstract noun, 快乐

(3) 中文的不是买的

This is badly written. It should be 中文是买不得的, i.e. Chinese, (language proficiency), can't be bought.

The 的 here is the 是…..............的 structure, which is:-

是 [thing to be emphasized] 的

Thus 是 (买不得) 的

(4) Please refer to @Brian Cheung comment.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.