According to my dictionaries, 着数 zhāoshù means:

1. a move (as in chess, Go etc)
  2. same as 招数 zhāoshù: "movement in martial arts or on stage; trick, plot, scheme, device"

There's also a 着数 with the reading zhuóshǔ, but it looks like a rare and obsolete term. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I wonder if 着数 is used or known in modern Mandarin (or any other variety of Chinese) in the first sense. In the dictionary, I see a citation for it from the old literature, but I struggle to find modern examples for the "chess move" sense.

And as far as I can see, the much more common form for the "trick" sense is 招数, is that correct?

4 Answers 4

You are right, The 2nd meaning zhuóshǔ is an obsolete term.

着数 is a very common word, you can find it in chess writings, though 招 is also used, they are interchangeable in this context.

招数 has a wider range of use than 着数, you can use 招 to replace 着 in the chess context. In other contexts, 招 is more common. e.g. 接招, 妙招

着 has the meaning of 计策,办法, also, it means 放(put, place) and 落(fall, drop) in chess - to place a chessman or make a move (下棋时下一子或走一步).

• 該你着棋了 - It's your turn (to play)/ It's your move.

• 這是一着好棋 - It's a good/excellent move.

Note, 招 can't replace 着 in the examples above, and in my opinion, 招数 (the movements/way of motions in martial art) is close but not the same as 着数 (method and tactics of playing chess).

https://www.zdic.net/hans/%E7%9D%80

Yes, you're right. 着数 is rarely used in modern Chinese, and 招数 is commonly used for "trick".

Question 1: Is 着数 still used or known in modern Chinese?

Yes. It is not obsolete.

Question 2: Is 着数 the same as 招数? (movement in martial arts, trick)

Yes. In the 现代汉语词典 by 商务出版社 (2012), under 着数, it says 着数 同 招数, and under 招数, it says 招数 同 着数。

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.