In a drama I am watching, a guy is being called out for being dressed like Michael Jackson at a school reunion. He mentions that his invitation card said it would be a 90s celebrity cosplay party. The host then says this, in passing:

抱歉,我想說他壓軸

I have found 壓軸 in dictionaries and I have also encountered it before in novels, where it has made sense to me. Here it trips me up though. Dictionary entry (in English):

1 grand finale (last and best item in a theatrical programme), ≪pièce de résistance≫
2 {in former times} the next to last act in a theatrical programme

• Seems to be an incomplete sentence.
    – joehua
    Jul 29, 2022 at 21:01
  • She doesn't say anything else, and she is not cut off by another speaker. Speaker #1: 大芳給我的邀請函上面有著裝要求啊. 90年代巨星風啊. Speaker #2: 抱歉,我想說他壓軸 The conversation then moves on to another topic.
    – timseb
    Jul 29, 2022 at 21:34
  • It is important to know what Speaker #2 said that drew this response from Speaker #1; who was "he", and what type of dress he wore, which might have been excel from the 着装要求.
    – r13
    Jul 30, 2022 at 1:17

2 Answers 2

I ask my smart and beautiful friend, 晓云。She immediately said:

抱歉,我想說他壓軸。
Sorry, I wanted to say, he was the greatest!

on a notion of "save the best till last"

The plot thickens:

Contrary to popular belief 压轴 actually doesn't mean: "the finale, the last and, presumably best, act"

压轴”原本是戏曲名词,指一场折子戏演出的倒数第二个剧目。在现代社会中有很多应用,比如“压轴戏”,但压轴也是人们知识的一个盲区。“压轴”本意是指倒数第二个节目,而不是人们常说的倒数第一个,倒数第一个节目称“压台”。

“压轴”本意是指倒数第二个节目, 而不是人们常说的倒数第一个

倒数第一个节目称“压台”。
counting backwards, the first item is called “压台”。

• I learnt this word when I was reading Taipei People by Pai-Hsien Young and it seems to mean both. According to the Cross-Straits dictionary as well, like the KEY dictionary I cited above, it seems to first have meant the second but last performance, but in modern times also means highlight / last performance in general. "泛指最精彩、令人注目的結尾或最後出現的事件。" You're answer makes sense to the scene in general so I will mark it as the answer to my question.
    – timseb
    Jul 30, 2022 at 8:02

No matter whether the 压轴戏 is the second to the last play or the last play, 压轴戏 is usually played by the most famous/important actors in the group (戏班挂头牌的主要演员), so the sentence goes as "抱歉,我想說他是/挂头牌" - "Sorry, I wanted to say he is the best (number one).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.