I came across the phrase ''为你打call'' recently in a Douyin video.

I recalled seeing ''call'' a few times without really paying much attention to it.

It seems it has made it's way into the Chinese lexicon, kind of like ''fighting'' or ''hold不住''.

I asked a Chinese friend what ''为你打call'' means and they said it means that you support someone.

Can anyone explain more clearly the meaning of ''call'' as Chinese people are using it ?

What are some other examples of the use of ''call'' in Chinese ?

Can you provide the link to the video?
    – r13
    Aug 20, 2022 at 12:18
  • @r13 Sorry I can't find that video again. If I come across any more ''call'' appearances I'll add them to my question as examples.
    – Kantura
    Aug 20, 2022 at 13:34
  • It could be a program/show in which "call" means "good/excellent"- "給你加個好"?!
    – r13
    Aug 20, 2022 at 16:15

2 Answers 2

'Call' here seems to be a direct insertion of an English word into a Chinese sentence. It is very common in Hong Kong Cantonese.

This post: What does 騷債 mean? is a good example

they said it means that you support someone.

If it is the case, then 'Call' here is short for 'phone call' and 打call means 'making a phone call'

Making a phone call to relevant departments is a method of supporting someone, for example, call or text to vote for someone in a singing contest

打call comes from コール in the context of Japanese live performance culture. It refers to swaying glow sticks, clapping or calling out etc during live events to show support to the performers. Usually it's only used to mean a fan's support for a celebrity (and only widely used in those subcultures).

• I agree. I learned the same explanation somewhere else. Making phone calls doesn’t make any sense. Aug 21, 2022 at 4:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.