I see that 舉's 意義 means "elevate with the hands". But why does 舉 mean "act, deed; move"? And "whole, entire"?

I am even more befuddled, because all 3 詞類 differ! See below.

略說: 從「手」,「與」聲,本義為雙手托物使之向上。

詞類 英文意義
adj. all, whole
n. act, deed; move
v. raise, elevate with the hands, lift; begin, initiate; move; recommend; bring forward; cite; enumerate; elect, choose
    Why can't a word have multiple meanings? It's a very common thing in languages. If you're looking for an answer regarding etymology, please rephrase your question to reflect that. And do some research online first.
    – monalisa
    Aug 21 at 0:45
  • @monalisa Of course, a word can have multiple meanings. But my question is how these 3 meanings of 舉 are related. "If you're looking for an answer regarding etymology, please rephrase your question to reflect that." What would you like me to rephrase? Do not hesitate to edit my post!
    – user
    Aug 21 at 5:51
    How are a human, an elephant, an ant, a fish, and a tree related? --> If you trace far enough into the past, they all share a common ancestor
    – Tang Ho
    Aug 21 at 20:21
  • @user How about "what is the etymology of the character 舉"? It's also a good idea to show some of the research you've done.
    – monalisa
    Aug 22 at 0:28
  • @TangHo Really? This is your belief, and not proven.
    – monalisa
    Aug 22 at 0:30

1 Answer 1

The word "举" has multiple meanings and usages. Below are the meanings when it acts as an adjective, and as a noun. However, I couldn't find its association with "move" (I think it is parallel with the meaning of act and deed).

举〈形〉:

全 [entire;whole]

• 家锦衣玉食。——宋· 司马光《训俭示康》

• 天下所贡蝴蝶、螳螂、油利挞、青丝额一切异状。——《聊斋志异·促织》

举〈名〉:

(1) 言行;举动 [act; deed]。

• 举止失措(举动失常);举指(犹举止,行动);举趾(指举动);举休(举止;举动);以丧名(有所举动而丧失名誉)

https://www.zdic.net/hans/%E4%B8%BE

• Thanks. Can you pls elaborate, and help me see, the links between the various meaning of 舉?
    – user
    Aug 22 at 5:43
  • Unlike the multi meanings of "慢", there are no trackable links between 举(raise), 举家(whole household), and 举止(behavior). The only thing I can add to is that all three are "morpheme(語素/詞素) - the smallest language unit that possesses the said meaning.
    – r13
    Aug 22 at 16:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.