A common folk symbol listed on Wikipedia is this:

a circular symbol in red

Wikipedia claims this symbol is a "stylisation of the 禄 lù or 子 zi grapheme, respectively meaning "prosperity", "furthering", "welfare" and "son", "offspring". 字 zì, meaning "word" and "symbol", is a cognate of 子 zi and represents a "son" enshrined under a "roof". The symbol is ultimately a representation of the north celestial pole (Běijí 北极) and its spinning constellations, and as such it is equivalent to the Eurasian symbol of the swastika, 卍 wàn."

This symbol doesn't look like 禄 or 子, either in regular script or in seal script. Can someone explain how the symbol relates to the two characters mentioned? A source would be helpful.

1 Answer 1

my English is limited.

禄 means money. In ancient China, 圆形方孔铜钱 Circular Coin with a Square Hole(a kind of coin showed as follows) is used as money.

enter image description here

I guess the symbol you mentioned looks like 圆形方孔铜钱 Circular Coin with a Square Hole, so it is related to .

As explained, I guess the outer layer means roof, inside layer sons.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.