I was just in my iTalki class, and it seems I've been making an error for years whereby I refer to 人口 as 大/小 instead of 多/少 (which came up in this question, so it's seems I'm not the only one making this error). I think my error arose because I think of 人口 as a number, so I might think of something like the following (the numbers are approximate for simplicity):

北京的人口是两千万。 苏州的人口是一千万。因为两千万大于一千万,所以北京的人口大于苏州的人口。 [✗]
Beijing's population is 20 million. Suzhou's population is 10 million. 20 million is more than 10 million, so Beijing's population is greater than Suzhou's population.

Okay, I now know to use 多/少 to compare 人口, so the second 大于 above should be 多于. But I feel like people say things like 北京的人口是两千万 with or without adding a 人 (or 个人), e.g.:

北京的人口是21893095人 [source]
北京的人口是1633万 [source]

And if 人口 is a number, then numbers are compared with 大/小 and not 多/少. Maybe there's sometimes a phantom 人 in these examples: it functions as if it's there, but it's omitted.

Question: Can 人口 be interpreted as a number?

It seems to me that 人口 is a quantity with a(n omitted) unit, 人. Compare 北京的人口是两千万人 with "the temperature of boiling water is 100 degrees Celsius." And we speak of a higher temperature, not a bigger temperature.
    – LAMC
    Jan 25, 2023 at 14:42

2 Answers 2

You can see population (人口) as a 数字/数目 or a 数量

1000 is a 数字; 1000人 is a 数量

北京的人口(数量)是二千万人 (二千万人这个数量多于一千万人那个数量)

北京的人口(数目)是二千万 (二千万这个数目大于一千万那个数目)

人口数字達二千萬 (population reaches the number of 20,000,000)

人口数量達二千萬人 (population up to 20,000,000 people)

• the classifier 人 can be omitted in 人口数量 because it is strongly implied

• the classifier 人 is not grammatical to use in 人口數目 because we don't count 数字/数目 as how many but now big

My conclusion:

北京人口多于苏州 compare the number of people in those two places

北京的人口数目大于苏州的人口数目 compare the exact number of those two populations

北京有多少人口?

两千万.

苏州有多少人口?

一千万.

那個地方人口? 多多少?

北京人口多於苏州, 一千万. (一千万人 is a quantity, not a pure number.)

那個地方人口總數? 為什麼?

北京人口總數大於苏州. 因為两千万大於一千万.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.