When you say the time, do natives usually say 一点零五 or 一点五?

I already tried asking Google, it gave me sites with different opinions

Thanks!

• 一点零五 = 1:05; 一点五 = 1:25
    – Tang Ho
    Commented Jan 15, 2023 at 22:27

4 Answers 4

I am a northerner of China. I never heard someone ever saying "一点五" to express the time. 一点零五 is 1: 05.

In addition, units(such as 分) can be added after 一点五. For example: 一点五分 is 1:05.

From my personal use of the language, I never say 一点五 when speaking of time. I use 一点半 to refer to 1:30, and 一点零五 for 1: 05.

If you are not saying the minute under ten, but some other unit, I cannot think of a single time a zero is ever needed. At the same time, a zero is always needed saying the minutes under ten. Examples:

一點零五 1:05*

一點五十 1:50*

一點半 half past one/1:30

一點三刻 quarter til two/1:45

一點差五 five til one/12:55*

You will notice that that zero here is actually serving the same placeholder status it does in regular counting-- if you are not familiar with that yet, it will make extra sense when you have learned that in the future.

p.s. the word 分 is unneeded in all of these, but I have * the ones it could go with for emphasis, or if you were to continue listing seconds etc.

It is a bit Cantonese style.

一点零五 = 1:05

一点五 = 1:25

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.