I'm learning traditional Chinese, and have heard/seen examples of 簡筆字, like how 聽 can often be written as ⿰口耳 in Taiwan. Every time I try to look this up, I just get directed to the same Quora thread mentioning it, the Ryakuji wikipedia page, and 簡體字. Now I realize that there can be similarities between 簡筆字 and 簡體字, but there also are differences, case and point with 聽.

So I was wondering if there were any resource on their use, where they are used, how they are used, as well as a reference to common practices. Like does 門 become 门 in Taiwanese 簡筆字 like in 簡體字 or Japanese Ryakuji, or is it always written 門.

3 Answers 3

I believe you're looking for: 繁體俗字. Perhaps especially the "其他臺港俗字" section; here's a quick snippet:

enter image description here

This article on Daily View is also quite interesting. They talk of a couple other examples:

「台式簡體」融合各式寫法 與中國簡體有所不同 .
這些台灣人自己發明的「台式簡體」又可稱為「繁體俗字」,大多是來自古文、日本漢字,也有些是從古文、日本漢字、中國簡體字變形,成為許多台灣人約定俗成的字,像是「転(轉)」、「亇(個)」、「奌(點)」、「対(對)」,另外還有人會將「聽」寫作「咡」,可能是受「口耳之學」成語影響。

很多人會誤以為「台式簡體」就是中國簡字體,事實上兩者不太一樣,所以並非將繁體字簡化就是中國簡體字。不過在填寫較正式的文件時,通常還是得使用繁體字。很多人看了網友的解釋後都表示「看了這篇長知識」、「原來是台式簡體」。

A fun picture as well:

enter image description here

• This is exactly what I'm looking for! Is there a searchable online resource were I can find and learn them?
    – Tosaku
    Jan 24, 2023 at 0:59
  • @Tosaku The wiki page has most of what you're looking for. Check the "其他臺港俗字" section and the reference links.
    – Mou某
    Jan 25, 2023 at 16:42

I found these pages that might help you:

...like how 聽 can often be written as ⿰口耳 in Taiwan.

Wrong. Both the 簡(寫)字(taiwan) and 簡體字(mainland) for 聽(繁字/繁體字) is 听 = 口 + 斤.

簡體字 is used exclusively in China. Its use in Taiwan is up to personal choice except rarely seen in formal publications and government documents/communications.

• User Mou某's answer seems to indicate that 咡 is indeed sometimes used instead of 听 Jan 23, 2023 at 23:27
  • @JohnFrazer Follow this link to see what 咡 means zdic.net/hans/%E5%92%A1.
    – r13
    Jan 24, 2023 at 0:17
  • @JohnFrazer Japanese 漢字 - 咡 kanji.jitenon.jp/kanjiy/13304.html (see content using google translate if you don't know Japanese.)
    – r13
    Jan 24, 2023 at 0:29
  • It's apparently short hand used by Taiwanese students.
    – Tosaku
    Jan 24, 2023 at 0:41
  • @Tosaku I came from Taiwan and used to write shorthand all the time, but never ever heard of or seen its uses.
    – r13
    Jan 24, 2023 at 1:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.