Google translates 爷爷上山去欩柴。as, 'Grandad went up the mountain to get firewood.'. Both Wiktionary and Chinesetools.com include this character, but give no meaning for it. I wondered if it were a rarely used classifier or an alternative character. (I am a beginner in Chinese.)

This is the first time that I have asked a question on Stack Exchange, so please bear with me.

• From the Kangxi Dictionary: 欩:《集韻》敕宵切《集韻》癡宵切,𠀤音超。欩歊,氣上蒸。一曰健貌。
    – Michaelyus
    Feb 28 at 11:27
  • Was it from Momotaro?
    – Andrew T.
    Feb 28 at 13:39
  • It was from 三王墓 [Sān Wáng Mù] - Tomb of the Three Kings.
    – user34666
    Mar 3 at 10:31

1 Answer 1

Given that I found this sentence in a childrens' storybook, it is more likely to be a misprint and should perhaps read '砍' [kǎn] - to chop?

this is extremely likely as 欩 does not even show in my dictionary. At least in modern chinese it is unlikely to be used at all. Baidu shows the definition as a healthy appearance which wouldn't make sense in context anyway.
    – zagrycha
    Feb 28 at 7:13
  • @zagrycha Try this online dictionary zdic.net/hans/%E6%AC%A9.
    – r13
    Feb 28 at 12:46
  • @r13 i've used zdic before they are great for rare terms. in this case they match baidu definition exactly.
    – zagrycha
    Feb 28 at 23:26
  • The combination 欩柴 is rare enough that this very question pops up as first result when searching for it on startpage, so a misprint would seem likely. Mar 1 at 8:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.