For example, if I want to say, "for this class you gotta have a cup of coffee (to stay awake)", should I say 你一定要有咖啡 or 你必须的有咖啡? Note that in this context, I am not demanding that the person buy coffee, but rather stating that it's something I think is very important. Or maybe this type of expression is not important in Chinese, and I should just say, "上这个课时,咖啡很重要".

• Your post titled: "Difference between 必须得 and 一定要?" and you accepted an answer that didn't address the issue at all. Instead, it just provided a rewrite. Why? Do you want to know the difference between 必须要有 and 一定要有 or not?
    – Tang Ho
    Commented Apr 13, 2023 at 4:41
  • Because the accepted answer expressed my meaning in a better way. Context is important. I suggested options A and B, but the correct answer was C. I didn't know when I was asking the question.
    – salamander
    Commented Apr 13, 2023 at 5:46
  • Although anything can be translated, the question is: is that how a Chinese person would express that sentiment? A nation of tea-drinkers won't automatically refer to coffee. I think a more suitable phrase is: 沉闷的课堂让人昏昏欲睡。
    – Pedroski
    Commented Apr 13, 2023 at 22:35

2 Answers 2

I don't know if I clearly understand the meaning of your question. I think for your purpose, a better way to say is that "上这门课你最好准备一杯咖啡"。

• I think that's more appropriate. In English, it's a little sarcastic. Like "if you don't have coffee, you will definitely fall asleep". But in Chinese, sarcasm doesn't exist, so it has to be expressed more literally.
    – salamander
    Commented Apr 12, 2023 at 9:36
    I think it might be a matter of cultural differences. In Chinese, there may be a tendency to soften and explain things in a more gentle and indirect way. I used a suggestive tone to soften the sentence. If I were to say this sentence in English myself, I might also say ‘for this class you’d better have a cup of coffee (to stay awake)’, which might not sound as authentic to you. I ask new bing to translate this sentence to Chinese, and it translate it as '对于这门课程,你需要一杯咖啡(来保持清醒)'. It use 'Need' instead of 'gotta' to soften the sentence.
    – ENJOU
    Commented Apr 12, 2023 at 13:19
  • @salamander I just want to let you know, sarcasm absolutely does exist in Chinese. Like most things it is not exactly the same as the english version, however I honestly have no idea how someone could tell you it doesn't exist--its very prevalent.
    – zagrycha
    Commented Apr 15, 2023 at 4:07
  • @zagrycha, it seems to have failed anytime I have tried it. People take things literally. Maybe you can offer some examples instead of letting me take your word for it.
    – salamander
    Commented Apr 15, 2023 at 11:16
  • @salamander What is your level in chinese? It is not chinese specific,but chinese people will often assume a literal meaning to what someone says if they are beginning to learn the language etc. An example of sarcasm in chinese could be: a coworker is standing on a fire escape smoking, and I comment "I see the project you are so busy with is going nicely."
    – zagrycha
    Commented Apr 15, 2023 at 17:04

In this scenario, they are the same and are interchangeable. Although 必须得 is slightly stronger than 一定要,I don't think such slight difference makes any different meaning, especially in speaking language.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.