On DuChinese one can read the following sentence

enter image description here

Here 买 seems to have the same meaning as 花

Any guidance by chinese expert speakers is highly appreciated

4 Answers 4

The words and do not have the same meanings. 买 is to purchase, but 花 is to spend. For example,

(1) 我了100元的苹果。= I bought 100 dollars apples. 100元的 is the adjective of the noun 苹果.

(2) 我100元买苹果。= I spent 100 dollars buying apples. 买苹果 is the purpose complement of the action 花了.

If you only say “我了一百多元”, then it is not a complete sentence, except there is the context in the conversation. It is better to say “我了一百多元”

• Thank You for Your explaination, though I have a hard time to wrap my head around this.... So if I get this right, that's what comes after 但 tells me how I have to interpret the 买?
    – user137313
    May 13, 2023 at 16:27

去年我買了一百多元, 但... - Last year, I made purchases of hundred dollars and changes, but didn't get much.

今年才花了50元, 就... - This year, only/just spent 50 dollars, (I) then got a lot.

Additional Comments:

Note that this piece of work is present in the speaking form, which often skips words required for clarity for non-native speakers. The first sentence would make better sense if rewritten as:

• 買/花了一百多元, 但好像也沒有(買到)什麽東西.

Both "買了" and "花了" are good choices for this sentence. However, the author chooses the term "買了" to avoid the repetition of the term "花了" in such a short paragraph.

ADD:

The repeating of words can be avoided by replacing the second "花" to "用", for both mean the same here.

• 去年我花了一百多元, 但好像也沒有買到什麽東西. 今年才用了50元, 就買到好多(東西).
  • Thank You for Your explaination, I need to let sink this in and grow some synapses;-)
    – user137313
    May 13, 2023 at 16:31
  • Strictly speaking, in the first sentence, the term "花了" would make more sense than "買了" however, "買了" was chosen to avoid repeating the same word term twice in such a short paragraph.
    – r13
    May 13, 2023 at 17:29
  • I understand, this rule was imparted to me in school as well
    – user137313
    May 13, 2023 at 19:44

我买了一百多元 here is the shorter form of 我买了一百多元的东西, which can be translated as I bought items worth more than 100 yuan.

I don't know where you got this paragraph, but as a native speaker I would say it is normal to say 我买了一百多元的 Or 我花了一百多。

Well, I am not an expert in chinese. However I can help :)

It has the regular meanings here for both characters, to buy something vs to spend something. Lets break the phrases down:

去年 last year

我 I

買了 bought

100多元 more than 100rmb worth/of.

the latter phrase:

今年 this year

オ(typo, probably supposed to be I but that isn't needed either, could be removed)

花了 spend

50元 fifty rmb (implied already/so far etc).

So its not that 買 has the same meaning as 花 here, but that 花 has a related meaning of spend here. note the 多-- this is the character that clarifies that you bought this much moneys worth of X vs just stating I spent X amount of money.

• As you could see in @r13's answer, オ is not a typo, but to mean "only / just" to act as a counter distinction of value gained between spending / expending, (i.e. 花了), the larger amount of 100 多元 and spending / expending "only / just" the smaller amount of 50元. So, オ should not be removed, otherwise the counter distinctive significance would be lost. May 13, 2023 at 13:21
  • @WayneCheah Thank you, I clearly need coffee, I knew this use and was being silly at the moment I typed this, clearly need more coffee before answering questions.
    – zagrycha
    May 13, 2023 at 13:56
  • You're welcome, and though I'm a tea drinker myself, Cheers! May 13, 2023 at 14:07

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.