I’m reading Randall Munroe’s “What If 2” in Mandarin. (It’s the author of the popular cartoon xkcd.com)

There’s a chapter about placing a house-sized Jupiter in the middle of a neighborhood.

The sentence reads:

一个20,000摄氏度的氢球将以不可思议的压力向外扩张。真实的木星之所以没有爆炸,是因为 […]

Roughly: “A 20,000 degree ball of hydrogen will expand outward due to unbelievable pressure. The reason why the real Jupiter doesn’t explode is because…”

I understand that 之所以 means “the reason why”, and my dictionary confirms that.

However I don’t think 之所以 should be intended as one single word. Intuitively I can understand it as 之 + 所以 (therefore), however I’m not fully sure why it’s used as a noun modifier (木星之所以)

Can someone explain the grammar behind this construction?

• There's also the chengyu 不知所以 = "to not know the reason / to not know what to do".
    – Becky 李蓓
    Commented Jun 27, 2023 at 7:54
  • 之所以……是因为…… is more or less a fixed phrase (固定搭配) meaning “the reason why … is because …”. Etymologically, 之所以 is comprised of 之 + 所以, but in contemporary Mandarin, it almost always occurs as a fixed phrase together with 是因为, known as a pair of “connectives” (关联词) along with 因为……所以……, 虽然……但是……, 不仅……而且……, and so on in Chinese school grammar.
    – L. F.
    Commented Jul 29, 2023 at 9:21

3 Answers 3

木星(subject)

之('s)

所以(reason)

没有爆炸 (statement)

木星[之所以]没有爆炸 = [The reason why] Jupiter not exploded

~

美國[之所以]要援助烏克蘭,原因是為了打擊俄羅斯

[The reason way] the U.S. aids Ukraine is to weaken Russia

• Is 所以 actually used as a noun in this case?
    – blackgreen
    Commented Jun 27, 2023 at 2:22
  • 所以 is acting as a noun for "reason" here. "之所以" = "reason of"
    – Tang Ho
    Commented Jun 27, 2023 at 2:36

You are almost there. 之 + 所以 = it + therefore.

• 木星(Jupiter)之(it)所以(therefore)没有爆炸(didn't explode), 是因为(was because)...
  • "it therefore" isn't grammatical English though. I'm not sure what you are trying to say.
    – blackgreen
    Commented Jun 27, 2023 at 2:18
  • Yes, "it" shall be dropped in English. But, my main point is that "之" can be used as a pronoun, here it equates to "它" (it).
    – r13
    Commented Jun 27, 2023 at 4:07
  • I don't think this is a correct explanation.
    – blackgreen
    Commented Jun 27, 2023 at 4:13
  • Ignore the previous answer, try this: "Jupiter, therefore it didn't explode, is because of......", or this: "Jupiter, for the reason it didn't explode, is because of......"
    – r13
    Commented Jun 27, 2023 at 12:03

我今天之所以迟到是因为路上堵车了.

The reason I was late today is that there was traffic on the road.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.