In English, if I wanted to say: "Today I practiced Chinese with an employee" the other subject (employee) can properly come last in the sentence. Of course I can also say "Me and an employee practiced Chinese today.

However, my understanding in Chinese is that subjects typically appear in the beginning. So I would assume Chinese version is "今天我和一个员工练习中文." -- or something like that. Is this indeed true?

And which of these are most common to combine subjects? , , ,

Can someone help explain proper usage of speaking when multiple subjects appear in sentence?

2 Answers 2

和 = 跟 = 与 = and/along with. 和 has the most uses; 跟 is used in causal conservation, and the use of 与 is rare, especially in speech, but in older literature, lyrics, or formal writing.

• 今天我和/跟/与一个员工练习中文. - Today I practiced Chinese with an employee.

means "give; provide" - 今天我给员工們上了一課 (Today I gave/provide a lesson to the employees, or Today I taught the employees a lesson.)

• Ok this makes sense, however, I'm unaware of this usage of 上了 to mean teaching or providing. Can you explain a little further on this? I'm aware of 上班 to be a verb to Work, and 上学 to be the same for going to school, but seeing by itself threw me off. Thank you.
    – Adrift
    Jul 7, 2023 at 19:08
    It is topic specific. Wife (a teacher): "我要給學生去上課了" - I've to go teach (the students/class) now = I've to go to class (to teach) now. Me: "我要去上班了" - I've to go work now = I've to go to the office [to work] now. Son: "我要去上學/課了" = I'm going to school/class [to learn] now. The words in [ ] are redundant but represent the actions depending on the status of the speaker. Teacher - to teach; Worker - to work; Student - [to the place to learn/be taught]. 了 means you did that (in the past); the action is completed (taught vs teach)..
    – r13
    Jul 7, 2023 at 19:44

Change employee for him to make life easier.

Today I practised Chinese with him.
今天我和他一起练习汉语。

Colloquial: Me and him practised Chinese together today.
Him and I practised Chinese together today.

But you probably wouldn't say:

*Me practised Chinese today.
*Him practised Chinese today.

Prepositional phrases are often called complements in Western Grammar. Complements add information. Complements may be omitted. In my opinion [和他一起] is just that, information about the practise.

今天我练习汉语。
今天我[和他一起]练习汉语。
今天他[和我一起]练习汉语。

I suppose, below, you could call "我和他" a double subject, but then, if they are both the subject, who did they meet?

我和他见面。

Extend that: 我和他是在90年代遇见的。

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.