As far as I know 了 has two main functions. 1st is the completion marker, and the 2nd one is change of state marker. Here are some examples in which I can't figure it out the function and necessity of 了.

1. 办公室在三楼,我们上楼去, 先把借书证办了。

What's the difference between

先把借书证办了.

and

先把借书证办.

1. 我真想都买了。

2. A: 你要做什么? B: 当然是写作业了.

3 Answers 3

了 can also be a 尾語 (final particle) similar to 啊

When removing 了 from a sentence doesn't make the sentence invalid, that 了 is most likely not function as a 'complete marker' or 'change of state marker' but a final particle that serves to emphasize the sentence (also indicates the sentence has ended)

• Remove 了 from 先把借书证办了 and write 先把借书证办 would make the sentence invalid. The function of 了 here is to indicate the completion of the verb 办

• Remove 了 from 我真想都买了 and write 我真想都买 would change the meaning of the sentence. The function of 了 here is to indicate the completion of the verb 买

• Remove 了 from 当然是写作业了 and write 当然是写作业 doesn't change the meaning of the sentence, the function of 了 here is as a final particle (indicates the sentence has ended and put emphasis on the sentence, like an exclamation

The following are my opinions:

1. When a sentence ends up in a verb, it requires an auxiliary word/particle to indicate the completion of the action is someone's interest -
  • 先把借书证办了/好. - (It is in your interest), first to finish the application for a library card.

• 我真想都买了/掉. - (It is in my interest), I really want to sell all.

Note that without the auxiliary word/particle 了/好/掉, the sentences are grammatically incorrect.

1. When the sentence ends up in a verb phrase (V + Noun), 了 is a modal particle for setting the tone, and it is optional:
  • 当然是写作业了/啦/呀. = 当然是写作业.

Note that while both mean the same, the former answer has a casual tone, and is less serious about the task (写作业) than the latter.

Well, 了 can't be a “completion marker”, because nothing has been "completed". You must go upstairs and do something.

Also, nothing has “changed”, because you have not yet gone upstairs, so 了 can't be a "change of state marker“.

An intention has been stated, so look at 了 as emphasis.

You may replace 了 with 好, or with 好了。

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.