As far as I know, 的 is used between an adjective and a noun. Like 漂亮的姑娘

But I have seen many examples that 的 is used between an adverb and an adjective.

Here are the examples,

1. 生活在中国不同地方的人吃的食物也非常的不一样。

2. 特别的聪明

3. 他觉得非常的舒服。

4. 这两个女孩儿非常的热情。

5. 他工作非常的努力。

Is this grammatically correct? I haven't seen this in grammar books. Does anyone have any idea?

3 Answers 3

Refer to my old post 有认真地考虑过 or 有认真的考虑过?

[的] is a [adjectival] marker that is always followed by a [noun]

[地] is a [adverbial] marker that is always followed by a [verb] or an [adjective]

The reason you often see 的 acting like 地 is that both 的 and 地 are pronounced 'de' and many people use them interchangeably. Now it is almost an acceptable usage of 的 as a replacement for 地 by popular consent

There is a drawback because some adjectives are the same words when used as a noun, then the adverb with 的 instead of 地 would become an adjective

Example:

特别的(adv)聪明(adj) = specially intelligent

特别的(adj)聪明(n) =special intelligence

非常的(adv)热情(adj) = unusually passionate

非常的(adj)热情(n) = unusual passion

In the 前言 from 名词和动词, 沈家煊 著

根本书的观点一致, 行文中虚字“的”(的/地)除例句和引文一律写作“的”,免去有时候难以选择的烦恼, 而不致影响文意的理解。

作者 2014年10月21日写于北京寓所

Many Chinese linguists are opposed to the arrogant assumption that Chinese must conform with Western ideas about language and grammar.

If a noun is used as an adjective, or an adjective is used as a noun, what is it actually? 它的性质变不变吗?

As I mentioned elsewhere, it is inappropiate trying to classify and study Chinese using a set of Western/English lingustic rules/grammar.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.