image of study notes

这部电影非常精彩,我很推荐。
This movie is brilliant and I highly recommend it.

At the Glen Waverley library (Melbourne), they have some Chinese study classes, and the above is from their notes. I was surprised by 我很推荐 not being followed by an object, such as 我很推荐它.

Question: Is 这部电影非常精彩,我很推荐 grammatical, despite the verb 推荐 lacking an object?

I asked Assistant and it said:

...the verb "推荐" (tuījiàn) is used without an explicit object.

Maybe this is permissible, but still, the sentence feels like a 语病 to me.

• You are right! Especially if it is used in Hongkong, (a 语病 to me). Commented Sep 9, 2023 at 7:46
  • Would you consider this sentence 这道烤鸡很好吃,我很喜欢 as a 语病? Commented Sep 10, 2023 at 13:32

3 Answers 3

这部电影非常精彩,我很推荐 is totally fine. Think of [topic +comment] structure

Topic: [这部电影]

comment 1 [非常精彩]

comment 2 [我很推荐]

you can add as many comments as you want and all the comments describe one topic: [这部电影]

Example:

这部电影非常精彩,我很推荐,但剧情有点复杂,要用心去看

• 这部电影非常精彩

• 我很推荐(这部电影)

• 但(这部电影)剧情有点复杂

• (这部电影)要用心去看

Basically, all the comments are dependent clause

我很推荐这部电影, (因為)"它"非常精彩. "它" describes "这部电影". The reverse shall follow the same pattern, "这部电影非常精彩, 我很推荐"它"."
    – r13
    Commented Sep 9, 2023 at 21:50

You can consider 推荐 as an intransitive verb.

• If it is true "这部电影非常精彩, 我很推荐这部电影" would be wrong, but it isn't
    – Tang Ho
    Commented Sep 10, 2023 at 5:10
  • In English, many verbs can both be intransitive and transitive. I was just saying 推荐 maybe used as an intransitive verb. However, it's best not to pigeon hole Chinese with English grammar. Commented Sep 11, 2023 at 4:21

The object to 推荐 is omitted,as the actual object this movie has appeared before.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.