I've been given a painting by a Chinese university professor many years ago. There is some handwriting on it and I always wondered what the text on it says. My Chinese is very basic so I gave OCR a try but it only resulted in some random numbers. Maybe someone could understand the handwriting? enter image description here

• (花?)貓圖:- 武(澤?)大學 - 東(??)
    – Tang Ho
    Sep 24, 2023 at 6:34
  • I see 竹貓圖,武漢大學,車英. The bottom-right corner is not legible to me, I only see (maybe) 【弟】.
    – dROOOze
    Sep 24, 2023 at 6:52
  • @dROOOze that totally makes sense, it was gifted to me at Wuhan University and it shows a panda under some bamboo. I'm trying to match the characters to the painting: Top: 圖貓 - but where is 竹? Is it part of the painted leaves? Middle: ? Bottom: 大學 - are the two strokes at the bottom left (´) the character 大? And 武漢 is in the red seal?
    – Sam Weber
    Sep 24, 2023 at 7:44
  • @SamWeber It would help if you knew what your professor's name was. I'm not confident in the signature or seal; I think the signature says 車英 and the bottom-left seal says 車英之印, but I'm not really sure.
    – dROOOze
    Sep 24, 2023 at 8:01
  • @dROOOze thank you so much! Unfortunately, I don't remember his name but I'm fine with knowing that it's his signature. Your text overlay is brilliant btw.
    – Sam Weber
    Sep 24, 2023 at 9:00

1 Answer 1

enter image description here

竹貓圖
Painting of bamboo and cat(?)s

武漢大學
Wǔhàn University

I can't read the artist's signature or the seals.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.