I have an original art print of a Wei Jin tombs brick but I can't get an accurate translation of the artist's seal. Below is a picture of the seal. Thank you to all who reply. enter image description here

1 Answer 1

临摹 means "Imitation" or "Copy". It is a practice where aspiring artists learn by copying masterpieces.

In exploring seal script fonts (篆体), it is evident that the structure of the lower character originates from the large seal script (大篆). The composition of the upper character is more elusive within seal scripts. It appears to most closely resemble traditional Chinese, a composition prevalently used in Chinese speakers:

Decomposing the seal

• Hello. I was wondering if there are any numbers in the seal or anything which would indicate what type of copy this is. It might be along the lines of "Artist's Copy" or "Copy #25" or "Proof Copy", etc. Thank you. Commented Oct 24, 2023 at 4:49
  • @IvanHolubetz Hello. I didn't identify information relevant to your description. Meanwhile, as far as I know, it is not common practice to put this information along with "Copy". A possibility is that you can find the artist's name in a separate seal on the art piece.
    – LI Bing
    Commented Oct 24, 2023 at 8:04

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.