This is a fill-in-the-blanks exercise on page 56 of 新实用汉语课本5 (photo):

那种汽车 ____ 价钱很贵, ____ 的确质量很好。

We're asked to fill in the blanks with 关联词语. What's tripping me up here: if the 的确 weren't there, I would use 虽然……但是…… such as in:

那种汽车虽然价钱很贵,但是质量很好。

I'm fairly confident this is unproblematic.

But the given sentence has 的确, and my 语感 is telling me that 虽然……但是…… is not compatible with 的确 here (something feels off, although I can't quite pinpoint what), and I should choose something else. Although maybe I'm "afraid of ghosts", and the 的确 simply adds emphasis to the right-hand side.

Question: Is it okay to fill in the blanks of 那种汽车 ____ 价钱很贵, ____ 的确质量很好 with 虽然……但是 despite the 的确?

I would say: 那种汽车虽然价钱很贵,但是质量的确很好。
    – r13
    Commented Nov 5, 2023 at 23:09

1 Answer 1

Why not? 的确 is roughly "indeed", it means you admit or agree to a certain fact, or you are very impressed by a certain fact. There's nothing incompatible with 虽然 (although) and 但是 (but).

If I were to write this sentence I would probably use 但是质量的确很好, but 但是的确质量很好 does not sound wrong to me.

The CCL corpus contains usages of both "虽然的确" and "但是的确". Here are a few examples:

你一共做过多少个节目自己肯定数不过来吧?

还好,还可以数过来,但是的确蛮多的。

我知道施政虽然已经有进步,但是的确有不足之处,需要改进。

这些所谓“化石”里所含的碳,虽然的确与生命活动产生的碳有些类似,但也有可能是特殊的地质活动的产物。

他考虑到诡计的可能性,声音虽然的确是尤里安的声音,但或许尤里安是在无法自主的情况下,被强迫与敌人合作的。

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.