I understand that duration complement comes after the verb in a sentence i.e "我学了两个月汉语了" ,but with sentences like "我们得一个小时到机场" does the duration complement still apply here or is it different?

1 Answer 1

我们得(在)一个小时(內)到机场 = We have to get to the airport (in) an hour (within) = We have to get to the airport within an hour

"An hour"(一个小时) in this sentence is not a [duration complement] but a [time expectation/condition phrase].

• [Duration complement] is the length of time already passed
  • [Time Expectation/ Condition] is the length of time you are expected to spend, or the time you need to spend (a condition), therefore, the rule of [verb before duration complement] is not broken here

我们一个小时到机场 (we one hour to arrive at the airport) is an incomplete sentence. We need a verb before the duration complement here, for example, 我们花了一个小时到机场 (we spent one hour to arrive at the airport)

• Thanks for the explanation ,is there a book where I can get more examples?
    – Jay
    Commented Nov 27, 2023 at 7:45

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.