Came across the character 发 (fā/fà; issue, dispatch, send out / hair) recently and I checked their traditional forms 發 and 髮.

I wanted to know more about how 發 (fā; issue, dispatch, send out, emit [Zhengzhang OC: /*pad/]) got abbrivated into 发, so when I went to go check this character's entry on the Outlier Linguistics Dictionary of Chinese Characters, it told me that 发 was formed with 癶 (two feet; here used as sound component [Zhengzhang OC: /*paːd/]), 弓 (bow) and 几 (from 殳, which is used here to depict a weapon or a tool) being abbreviated into strokes 1-2 and 5 of 发 while 又 (hand) retained the same as it was from it's traditional form 發.

However when I was curious about how it gained the other meaning "hair" and how it was abbrivated, I don't think the Outlier Linguistics Dictionary mentioned on how 发 also got the meaning "hair" from 髮 (fà; hair [Zhengzhang OC: /*pod/]) since it was super vague on it and only listed it under "fà" as "phoentic loan".

I tried my best making some proposals on how 发 could've came from 髮 as shown below: pp

On the left, I proposed that 发 likely comes from the sound component below (犮; Zhengzhang OC: /*boːd/) of 髮 and I'm assuming 髟 was omitted for the simplified form while on the right, I also proposed that the first half of the first stroke and the last stroke of 发 may have been an abbreviation of 髟. I could not come to a conclusion on what's most possible however.

I know for a fact that 发 when it means "hair" possibly comes from the cursive script of 髮 but I'm not too sure myself if the cursive script of 髮 happened to be the same as 發 also in cursive script.

If I could get some clarification here, how did this newly made simplified form 发 at the time came to be used for both 發 and 髮? Did both of these characters in cursive script just coincidentally happened to look the same at the time? I'm definitely curious to find out about this.

"Phonetic loan" means using a character (here 發 -> 发) for its sound value to represent a word (/*pod/, hair) that had nothing to do with the character's meaning, only its sound. Outlier suggesting that 发 is a phonetic loan for /*pod/ implies that the character 发 is not connected in any way to the character 髮. (That wouldn't be my first guess though, I thought 发 was an abbreviation of 髮 rather than 發, but I don't really look at or care for Simplified Chinese).
    – dROOOze
    Nov 27, 2023 at 6:40
    Oh, it's done in the PRC standard quite a bit, Wikipedia has a whole article dedicated to this. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/…
    – dROOOze
    Nov 27, 2023 at 6:52
    The PRC's character standard (standard = requires a process of standardisation) consists of both (1) stroke-reduction ("simplification") and (2) other changes. Here, When you see 几, 后, and 卜, they're considered "other changes" (merging two characters into one); the other character(s) that were merged weren't "Simplified", they just ceased to exist in the standard. That Wikipedia article has the word "Simplification" in it, but that's a bit of a gloss. The ROC (Taiwan) standard, for example, merged 著 and 着 into 著 (which PRC didn't do), but you wouldn't call that "Simplification".
    – dROOOze
    Nov 27, 2023 at 7:05
    几 still means "table" in the PRC standard (e.g. in the word 茶几). This character wasn't repurposed, they just removed 幾 and merged its definitions into 几. For 厂, well, if you ever needed to express the word hǎn in writing, you have no choice but to use the character 厂; this is true of any other "repurposed" characters.
    – dROOOze
    Nov 27, 2023 at 7:17
    Ahhh, that makes a lot of sense now. Then I guess I'm just thinking about the most most common definitions of 几 and 厂 following the PRC standard. So then the majority of a few characters used for simplified forms still have their original meanings but is overshadowed by the traditional character's definition if that's what I'm thinking of.
    – prismcool
    Nov 27, 2023 at 7:24

1 Answer 1

Same with the word 后. It is the simplified word of 後(back). But the word Queen in Chinese is 后(simplified and traditional).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.