I am helping a liquor(baijiu) brand translate some materials for design competitions in UK, and I met difficulties when describing the details of the LOGO design.

enter image description here

In the picture is a part of the brand LOGO, it is a Chinese character 安 (an1), and inside the Chinese character, the part 女 is designed to look like a Chinese liquor cup.

(女 is a Chinese character component of 安, 女 means women, but here I'm not really describing women. Our products are for adults in all genders. The design of cup in 女 because the shape of this component is suitable for making a liquor cup shape.)

The Chinese description is 古代酒杯构成的艺术字“安"

My translation : A Chinese liquor cup is contained in the character An.

After I finished the translation, the file was sent to some friends to help check. One of them reported that the sentence was confusing, they can't understand.

I really need help. I don’t think I can use any Chinese characters in the translation. The pictures may not be displayed together with the text. Or the judges may not know much about Chinese culture.

How should I describe it without the picture or using Chinese characters?

2 Answers 2

If you post your Chinese description, I could perhaps help with the English translation!

The Chinese character 安 ān shows a woman 女 nǔ under a roof 宀 mián

安 ān has many meanings. The main meanings are peaceful, tranquil, quiet, safe.

In the logo, the woman has been replaced with the representation of an ancient Chinese wine cup, 爵 jué

爵是中国古代一种用于盛放、斟倒和加热酒的容器。爵在商代和的西周青铜器的考古发现中是非常常见的。

The meaning of the logo is maybe: a housewife may peacefully enjoy her "Schnapps" in the safety of her home!

Or maybe that is not what is meant?? I don't know many women who drink 白酒!

古代酒杯构成的艺术字“安"

35 words:

The logo represents an ancient, three-legged, bronze Chinese wine cup, 爵 jué, under a roof, 宀 mián, and resembles the common Chinese character 安 ān, which carries the main meanings of peaceful, tranquil, quiet, safe.

• Yes, my Chinese description is 古代酒杯构成的艺术字“安”. The numbers of words are limited in 250 words and there are still many long sentences in the whole material so I need it to be short. 女 is a Chinese character component of 安, and that liquor cup is 爵. But I am not sure if the judges know about Chinese culture, so I want to give a rough description of it, don't need to analyze the component of "安" or explaining in detail "爵". use “Chinese liquor cup” as 爵
    – rinn玲
    Commented Nov 29, 2023 at 14:05
  • 女 is a Chinese character component of 安, 女 means women, but here I'm not really describing women. Our products are for adults in all genders. The design of cup in 女 because the shape of this component is suitable for making a liquor cup shape.
    – rinn玲
    Commented Nov 29, 2023 at 14:08

Although you are not describing "女", I think the words related to the shape of the cup will draw attention and curiosity from the judges :)

• The logo features/consists of a female-shaped win/liquor cup contained in the Chinese character/letter, (that means peaceful, tranquil, or quiet,) "An".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.