Is theire any ressource (font, software) who give ductus for a given character with both the strokes order and the way each stroke should be drawn?

I search it to make my own writing paper depending of the new symbols I learn.

So, the my goal is to make a little software (script) witch I give a symbol and it output a writing page. That’s why website is not really useful…

In bonus, if their is any free|open source software for this it would be great.

2 Answers 2

I feel like Make Me a Hanzi would be a good fit.

It contains beautiful vector graphics for Chinese characters, and it's free and open source (license). Hanzi Writer, for example, utilizes this database; see the demo page.

I've used characters from Make Me a Hanzi, and converted them to tikz where I can edit them manually and use them in LaTeX documents, like this:

breakdown of the character 鲨

• Waw, this ressource is an absolute treasure. But, in order to print the ductus, does Make Me a Hanzi give a step-by-step image instead of animation? Or, at least a number on each stroke indicating the order? I am only able to generate animation with the demo.
    – fauve
    Commented Nov 30, 2023 at 11:24

Check out this old thread here on chinese.stackexchange

Looks like you need a json database with the strokes for each character. If you can find such a database, then drawing the strokes one after the other shouldn't be too hard.

Then, in a webpage use javascript. If you don't want web-based output, maybe use Python PIL or cv2.

Personally, I just look on the web, for example here if I want to see the stroke order.

After a while, you get the hang of the stroke order for most characters, even if the particular character is new to you.

But I probably would not pass the Imperial Exam for Writing Chinese!

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.