I'm making a text for a test and I ended up with this sentence 很多人需开始工作得帮家. What I'm Trying to say is:

Many people need to start working to help their families

It's a complex phrase for my level and I'm not sure if it's correct mostly because of the caracterization of 工作. Can someone help?

3 Answers 3

No, it's not correct.

1. We use 以 to start a reason clause that is at the end of the sentence. Hence 以帮家, not 得帮家. (If you place reason clause at the front, use 为 or 为了.)
  2. For rhythmic reasons, modern Chinese tends to use two-character words. Hence 帮助家庭, not 帮家. 帮 can be used when there are more words after the object, like 我帮家人干活.

If you just need a faithful translation then 很多人需开始工作以帮助家庭 would probably work. To make it more natural, you can replace 需 with 不得不 (implying the people were forced to go to work), and replace 帮助家庭 with 帮家庭减轻负担 (reduce the burden).

I don't think the concept is quite clear. Maybe some rich, spoilt kids, plagued by their slowly developing consciences, decide to get a job to contribute to the family fortune, but most people get a job to have a life and pay their way.

Many people need to start working to help their families financially.
许多人不得不开始工作以在经济上帮助他们的家庭.

Many people need to start working to help their families.

很多人需要工作,支持家庭生活。

工作 = to start working

支持 = to help

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.