enter image description herecould anyone help me with the reading of this seal, it is from a Chinese printenter image description here

• Looks like 榮全齊 or 齊榮全 + 制. I can’t find anyone with those names.
    – dROOOze
    Commented Dec 13, 2023 at 17:49
  • Thank you, I'm thinking it's a collectors seal on the artwork. The other two seals are the artists.
    – 3bancho
    Commented Dec 13, 2023 at 21:33
    In that case, the intention is probably to write 榮寶齋製 (Made at Róng Bǎo Zhāi). The seal uses a weird mixture of not-really-correct ancient character substitutions, as well as Simplified Chinese.
    – dROOOze
    Commented Dec 13, 2023 at 21:41
    @aguijonazo Spot on! It's the original character of 「齊」, which depicts 3 plants arranged in a neat and tidy arrangement, indicating the meanings uniform, equal. This is preserved in the top half of what is now 「齊」. The lines underneath are decorative strokes that don't contribute to the word (a common character complexification process). Using this character for 「齋」 is not strictly correct from a language perspective, but I guess if you take artistic liberty you can say that someone is trying to use it as a phonetic loan for 「齋」.
    – dROOOze
    Commented Dec 14, 2023 at 2:29
    ... But, the thing is, that original shape is found on on oracle bone and bronze inscriptions, so if you want to write in that style, you should use other characters in that style for the rest of the seal as well. It's rather jarring to see 「宝」 instead of 「寳」 , because the latter is contemporary with that old shape of 「齊」, while the former was exceedingly rare or nonexistent in those times, only arising much later.
    – dROOOze
    Commented Dec 14, 2023 at 2:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.