This is a 语病 question from HSK6 Standard Course (p.93 photo of original):

老板很赏识李朝阳温文尔雅的风度和丰富的知识,对他十分器重。

The corrections are:

动词和宾语搭配不当。
李朝阳有着温文尔雅的风度和丰富的知识,老板很赏识他,对他十分器重。

There is only one verb here (the other verb 器重 is unmodified), namely:

CC-CEDICT 赏识 (shǎng​shí​): to appreciate / to recognize the worth of sth / appreciation

And the correction changes the object of 赏识 from 风度和知识 (ignoring the attributives) to 他. At first I thought maybe it's only possible to 赏识 a person, but I found examples like the following online:

此时,业务团队将开始赏识您的智慧。 (YouDao)
他赏识保罗的勤奋。 (Jukuu)

So I don't see any reason why 风度 nor 知识 cannot be 赏识ed.

Question: Where is the verb-object collocation error in the 语病 sentence?

2 Answers 2

I agree with you that "I don't see any reason why 风度 or 知识 cannot be 赏识ed."

The following examples are very common usage of 赏识.

他是队长特别赏识的一个队员。He is a member whom the team leader particularly appreciates.

她赏识他的才华,而不是他的外表。She appreciated his talent, not his appearance.

她并不赏识他那种耍小聪明的表演。She didn't appreciate his cleverness.

• I disagree with the second and third examples, 赏识才华 and 赏识表演 have the wrong objects, the object in the first sentence is 队员(a human)
    – Tang Ho
    Jan 28 at 14:50
  • The object for the 2nd sentence is "他的才华", for the third is "他那种耍小聪明的表演".
    – r13
    Jan 29 at 0:24
  • I agree that, in the 2nd and 3rd sentences, using 欣赏 may be better. But people use 赏识 quite often.
    – PdotWang
    Jan 29 at 13:12

老板很[赏识]李朝阳温文尔雅的风度和丰富的[知识],对他十分器重。

Emotion Verbs like 赏识(look highly upon) and 妒忌(jealous) can only be applied to a human object

The valid object for the verb 赏识 is not 李朝阳的知识 (李朝阳's Knowledge) but himself. You can rephrase this sentence many different ways as long as the object is a 李朝阳, that sentence would be correct

Similarly, a sentence like "他很[妒忌]我的[才能] (He is jealous of my talent)" might look normal at first, but when you break it down and match 妒忌(v) with 才能(object), it is also a sick sentence

The correct phrasing is "因為我有才能,他很[妒忌][我]"

OP found:

此时,业务团队将开始[赏识]您的[智慧]。 (YouDao); 他[赏识]保罗的[勤奋]。 (Jukuu)

The above two examples are similar to my example. Both sentences seem fine if you don't notice the fact that the objects were not humans

• If you search "欣賞 藝賞品", you'd find many examples in which 欣賞 is applied to arts.
    – joehua
    Jan 28 at 13:19
  • in 欣賞 藝賞品 (enjoy art,), 欣賞 is an action verb, In 欣賞我 (admire me), 欣賞 is an emotion verb, To avoid confusion, I changed it to 妒忌 in my example
    – Tang Ho
    Jan 28 at 14:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.