Text

In his 上神宗皇帝書 Su Shi opines on a permanent problem of Chinese governmental philosophy: the power distribution between centre and periphery or intra-capital and extra-capital officials. He comes up with his ideal strategy of having the two mutually constrain. That is crystallised in the following lines:

古者建國,使內外相制,輕重相權。 如周如唐,則外重而內輕。如秦如魏,則外輕而內重。 內重之弊,必有奸臣指鹿之患。外重之弊,必有大國問鼎之憂。

I tentatively translate:

The Ancients, when establishing a country, used inner and outer (officials) to control each other, thus holding the weak and strong in mutual balance! The Zhou and Tang (dynasties) had strong outer and weak inner officialdom; Qin and Wei had weak outer and strong inner officials. The blight of a strong inner officialdom is that there are necessarily treacherous officials passing a deer for a horse (like Zhao Gao, who doomed Qin). The ailment of strong outer officials lies in strong countries inquiring after the symbols of state power (with a mind to usurp it).

Problem

My problem is that 魏 is mentioned just this once and I have no sure way of knowing, whether it is 北魏、曹魏, or any of about a dozen less prominent 魏。

Su Shi‘s dictum became extremely prominent in the context of discussing 封建制 and 郡縣制 (loosely translated as feudal system and county-prefecture system respectively). I tried to look up that literature to assess which 魏 fits the bill. Wang Keyao‘s article on these systems of government states that all of the 魏晋南北朝 featured a weak monarchical power (which does not completely imply 內輕)。

So, is there a way to be reasonably sure, which 魏 Su Shi meant?

Or can we at least find out, which 魏 other literati of imperial China understood him to mean?

2 Answers 2

魏 is referring to 北魏。北魏 is the government which 苏轼 was referring to as 北魏 successfully reestablished 中央集权 (外轻内重) and mimicked the 儒法 system employed by 秦。

I do want to note however, any 魏 which fulfills the 外轻而内重 quality can suffice as an example for modern studies of "feudal system" and "county-prefecture system". This quote is made more famous by the fact that the last 科举 in 1904 asked an identical open-ended question "周唐外重内轻,秦魏外轻内重,各有得论” 。I've copied a portion of that year's winner's response as follows; "魏文帝侵削诸侯、有同幽絷设防、辅监国之官以伺察之、其势固莫能为乱也。然再传而后微弱益甚、司马氏父子遂攘其臂而夺之"。The 魏 referred here is 曹魏。

• So, although the 科舉 obviously alluded to Su Shi (who, you say meant 北魏)the 狀元 nevertheless talked about 曹魏? Correct? Things of this kind are exactly why I asked! I have been translating some exams. Some answers only make sense for 北魏、others only for 曹魏。How do we know Su Shi meant 北魏?
    – Ludi
    Feb 21 at 16:09
    @Ludi Strictly speaking, 曹魏 is too short and never the only power of its time; the majority of 曹魏 is overlapped with the Three Warring Kingdoms. Note that 东吴 was not officially defeated until 晋 which occurred post 曹魏。The 内重 of 曹魏 is more the result of the need of wartime and less about deliberate choice to do so during a more "peaceful era". 北魏 is particularly noted for its deliberate choice to utilize certain 秦 policies which is why it is mentioned along with 秦 here.
    – summer7
    Feb 21 at 18:45

如魏,則外輕而內重。 內重之弊,必有奸臣指鹿之患

it referred to 北魏、東魏、西魏 collectively; briefly

北魏(386-535)是北朝時期的第一個朝代,由拓跋珪所建立

高歡 . . . 另立孝文帝曾孫元善見為帝,建都鄴城(今河北臨漳),史稱「東魏」

西魏(535-557). . . 由宇文泰擁立孝文帝孫子元寶炬為帝,與高歡所掌控的東魏對立

the dismiss of 北魏 is due to a general 高歡 “selected” a royal family member (元善見) to ascend the throne, another general 宇文泰 ”found” another royal family member (元寶炬) as the emperor; that the début of 東魏 & 西魏

東魏(534-550). . . 孝靜帝 . . . 被高澄之弟高洋所廢

the emperor 孝靜帝 of 東魏 was “dethroned” by 高洋 (son of 高歡)

西魏(535-557). . . 宇文泰之侄宇文護迫西魏恭帝禪讓

the emperor 恭帝 of 西魏 was forced to abdicate, let 宇文護 (nephew of 宇文泰 ) to be the emperor

https://zh.wikipedia.org/zh-hk/北魏

https://zh.wikipedia.org/zh-hk/东魏

https://zh.wikipedia.org/zh-hk/西魏

clear, 高歡、宇文泰、高洋 & 宇文護 could be viewed as treacherous officials (奸臣)

古者建國,使內外相制,輕重相權。 如周如唐,則外重而內輕。如秦如魏,則外輕而內重。 內重之弊,必有奸臣指鹿之患。外重之弊,必有大國問鼎之憂。

your translation is good 😸 well, i would annotate further:

[when] the ancient people (古者) establish a country (建國)

made (使) [the system that] the central administration (內) [and] the regional administrations (外) [were] mutually restrained (相制), slight and important (輕重) [were] mutually measured [相權]

for example (如), [the dynasty of] 周 (1046 bc – 256 bc) and [the dynasty of] 唐 (618 to 907); the fiefdoms were so strong (則外重) and (而) the central governments was weak (內輕)

for example (如), [the dynasty of] 秦 (221 bc - 207 bc) and [the dynasties of] 魏 {北魏(386-535)、東魏(534-550)、西魏(535-557)} ,the local governments were weak (則外輕) and (而) the central government was so weighty (內重)

the disadvantage of a weighty central government (內重之弊), surely, there would be threats caused by treacherous statesman [like 趙高 pointing a deer] (必有奸臣指鹿之患)

the disadvantage of strong fiefdoms (外重之弊),surely, there would be worrisome that great fiefdom seeking for the throne (必有大國問鼎之憂)

have fun :)

• How do we conclude that Su Shi meant 北魏 (which has also been my assumption)?
    – Ludi
    Feb 21 at 16:11
  • My own reason for the assumption was that I have seen (but sadly not yet obtained) a book titled « 二重奏:北魏前期政治制度». So, I made that connection.
    – Ludi
    Feb 21 at 16:40
  • @ludi, well, the legend of 指鹿爲馬 implied the "treacherous statesman" (奸臣) had absolute power in court, without rivals. in 曹魏(220-266), 司馬懿 had resistences (the clan of mr 曹 & the clan of mr 夏侯), and several regional generals’ uprisings “駐守揚州的地方軍事長官王凌(司馬懿時期)、毌丘儉(司馬師時期)、諸葛誕(司馬昭時期)先後起兵反抗” zh.wikipedia.org/zh-hk/曹魏 Feb 22 at 10:44
    @ludi, that, i prefer to interpret 魏 as 北魏 and/or 東魏、西魏. cause 高歡、宇文泰 did whatever they want, without any hassles 😼 imo Feb 22 at 10:48

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.