Like when you are trying to describe if a certain food is still eatable.

An example would be during an science experience, where the teacher want us to soak eggs in vinegar. I then asked if the egg is still "edible" after doing so. (The answer being no, as we didn't put it in the refrigerator to being with.)

I am wondering to how did translate "edible" to Chinese?

Usually in verbal conversation/口语, I would use "能吃" as a description. While using "不能吃" as inedible:

Saying:"鸡蛋泡了以后已经不能吃了"

However, "能吃" sounds like a adjective/形容词. I am wondering if there is a noun/名词 to describe something that is not eatable.

Some website would use "可食". However, I never hear people use this. What are some better way to describe something that can be eaten.

"However, "能吃" sounds like a adjective/形容词." Isn't edible an adjective? And you want it to be translated into a noun?
    – joehua
    Commented Feb 25 at 19:47
    Yes, I want to find a noun for "edible". I find "可食" to be close to what I want to find.
    – Zorua Kuma
    Commented Feb 26 at 4:00

6 Answers 6

edible as in a food item: 食用

edible as in won't make you sick//desirable to eat: 吃得

edible as in describing a specific edible item:食X example edible mushrooms食菇, etc. This term is correct, but can also be used to describe a diet consisting of that item, like carnivore herbivore insectivore etc. So outside of edible mushrooms and a few other common terms, its more common to use the first term for clarity if needed-- example 食用葉 edible leaves aka "leaves as foodstuffs".

However even more common are longer phrases like 可以吃的X, not really a word but very common "X you can eat." aka "X that are edible".

All that said, for your example scenario, I would say the very last phrase for asking "is this an egg you can eat?" and the second vocab in negative 吃不得 to answer "no, not edible" ((cause it is a food stuff, just spoiled (◐‿◑) ))

• Very good response. Didn't know 食x could be used to describe specific items that are edible!
    – Zorua Kuma
    Commented Feb 26 at 4:05

Edible as an adjective can be translated as 食用, e.g. 鸡蛋泡了以后已经不可食用了.

As for using it as a noun, "eatable" is mostly used as a short form of "edible marijuana" (口服大麻). Before edible marijuana appeared, smoking marijuana was the only way to intake this substance

I am wondering if there is a noun/名词 to describe something that is not eatable.

There are 可食用品 and 非食用品 (Edible and non-edible items)

• Very good response. I would use "不能吃" and "不可食用" interchangeably.
    – Zorua Kuma
    Commented Feb 26 at 4:08

How to translate "edible" into Chinese?

ED - EAT - 吃, 食

IBLE - ABLE - 能, 可, 可以 (的) being adjectives

Therefore, EDIBLE - 可食的, 可以吃的

For example:

Is this thing edible? - 这个东西可以吃吗?- 这个东西能吃吗?

But 能吃 has another meaning. For example:

你真能吃啊!- It turns out that you eat a lot.

Edible means "可食用的(adj)", the sentence - "Is the egg still edible?" translates to "這個蛋還可以食用/吃嗎?". You are correct that "(不)可以吃" is often used in verbal conservation.

Edible is also a noun that means "食品" or "食物", it is often in the plural form such as "exotic/cannabis edibles", and in sentences like:

• the only edibles(食品/食物) they keep in their home are chocolate kisses.

• His daily meals include the following edibles(食品/食物)....

Edible

For spoken Chinese :

(1) 能吃
(2)可以吃

For written Chinese: (1) 能食用

(2)可以食用/可食用

可食, we seldom use this word.

Context dependent:
这个能吃吗?
Is this edible?

这些蘑菇呢?能吃吗?
These mushrooms? Are they edible?

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.