personally it's easier for me to study words/phrases to understand the roots, but I have an interesting word that I can't figure out why it was derived from

角色

Corner and Color... how did that become to mean someone's Role?

2 Answers 2

脚色

"脚色" /juésè/ is often written as "角色"/juésè/

演员根据[]本演绎各[]人物 - The actors play various characters according to the script.

脚本 = script

各色人物 = various characters

脚色/ 角色 = role

Note:

脚 = base

本 = script

As far as I know, 角色 is the more commonly used word for "role" than 脚色 for the general public

• 主角 or 主脚? Here is a discussion about them. sohu.com/a/494294498_121080240
    – r13
    Commented Mar 8 at 20:31
  • It said: 最初, “脚色”与“角色”的意思是相同的 - I suppose 角色 is not a mistake for 脚色
    – Tang Ho
    Commented Mar 8 at 20:33
  • But your first quote says otherwise :)
    – r13
    Commented Mar 8 at 20:59
  • What's your take on this? chinanews.com.cn/hwjy/news/2010/03-23/2186104.shtml It seems to suggest that 脚色 predates 脚本. It does of course agree with you that 角色 is a later variant. Commented Mar 8 at 23:00
  • @StumpyJoePete Check out this article - "在这里,脚色与角色的意思就已经发生了变化,**“脚色”指的是戏剧行当**,是根据戏班演员的技艺工种进行区别的;**而“角色”则是指代剧中的各类任务形象**。例如著名的戏剧《张协状元》中,张协、贫女、汉元帝、王昭君等人物是角色,而扮演他们的“生”、“旦”、“末”则是“脚色”,一个“脚色”可以扮演很多“角色”,反之则不能。(sohu.com/a/494294498_121080240#)". Also, you shall check out the dictionary for the definition and usage of 脚(zdic.net/hans/%E8%84%9A) and 角(zdic.net/hans/%E8%84%9A)
    – r13
    Commented Mar 9 at 12:38

角 - 演员(actor) - 名角(famous actor).

色 - 种类(type) - 各色用品(Various types of supplies); 形形色色(all kinds).

角色 - 指演员在戏剧中所扮演的人物(role or character in a novel/movie/play), 或某一类型的人物(a/certain type/kind of person).

• 在電影中他演什麼角色? - What "role/character/persona" does he play in the movie?

• 他是什麼角色竟敢替你出頭? - What kind of "character" is he who dares to stand up for you?

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.