all -- among a box with some family heirlooms, I've found a lacquer box with a medallion inside. This was from a Russian family that left before 1917, and lived in China and then Japan before immigrating to the USA in 1927. I've got a few ribbons and medals to identify, but despite some competency in modern Mandarin, I've never been able to read seal script at all (except perhaps the second character, 六?). I am eager to crack the mystery of this medal and grateful for any help! enter image description here

• hi, thanks dROOOze! Your edit is eminently plausible. I can close it or if you put your answer as a solution I can mark it solved.
    – EJS
    Mar 11 at 21:58
  • @dROOOze, can you submit your transliteration as an answer? A search confirms that this is a Japanese medal, and the images of the medal on wikipedia match that of the medal inside, a Zuihosho or Order of the Sacred Treasure 6th Class.
    – EJS
    Mar 11 at 22:18
  • @r13, dROOze edited the title but didn't submit an answer, so I don't think you're right. I can answer my own question but I'd like to give credit to dROOOZe for the transliteration.
    – EJS
    Mar 11 at 22:19
  • I see. My mistake.
    – r13
    Mar 11 at 22:22
  • You're welcome to answer your own question - credits are not required. Providing the transcription is a way of helping along the answering process - it's easier to find out the meaning behind a phrase if you know the correct search terminology to use.
    – dROOOze
    Mar 11 at 22:31

1 Answer 1

Thanks to transcription of the seal script by dROOOze, this appears to be an award of the Government of Japan:

勛六等瑞寶章 Order of the Sacred Treasure, Sixth Class.

• I changed to "transcription" because technically speaking the words these characters represent are Japanese, not Chinese. Feel free to revert the edit.
    – dROOOze
    Mar 11 at 23:25

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.