Chinese Prayer

I think this is a prayer in seal script but I have not been able to find the characters anywhere. Can anyone tell me what it says in Chinese and English? Thanks!

• Some characters here look a bit more like bronze inscriptions to me. Maybe it might be a combination of the bronze and seal script together?
    – prismcool
    Mar 21 at 23:01
    @prismcool this is almost certainly just "bronze inscriptions", but we don't have a tag for this.
    – dROOOze
    Mar 22 at 1:42
  • @dROOOze Yeah, I can tell because digging further, I can tell that this is just some kind of font made to emulate the bronze script style. Because there's no way 太 existed at the time of the bronzeware script.
    – prismcool
    Mar 22 at 4:42
    So it is bronze inscriptions not seal script? What does it mean? Is there a site where I can look up other characters like it? Thanks !!!
    – user38695
    Mar 22 at 5:44
  • @user38695 I personally would recommend xiaoxue.iis.sinica.edu.tw and zi.tools if you need a free database of ancient forms of characters. Always gets the job done for me.
    – prismcool
    Mar 22 at 22:42

2 Answers 2

I got Taiyi the noblest of Gods in heaven Is that anywhere close?

I can provide a bit explanation. Even though it is easy to literally translate, that will not give you any meaningful understanding. The hard part is the culture background, which even majority Chinese do not know.

In Taoism, "太乙" is the name of the star at north pole, as well as the god. North sky (北天) is also the highest part of sky/heaven/space. So, among gods, "太乙" is higher than other gods. The earth, which we live on, is under the south sky/heaven/space (南天).

As for why it is called "太乙": 太 means ultimate, original, intrinsical. 乙 is from the 2nd of the ten 天干, which is used to describe lifecycles. The first 2 of 天干 is 甲 and 乙. Both of the 2 belong to the 木 of 五行 (the 5 categories of change/move). 木 is the category for birth, evolve, creation, vibrate... The difference between 甲 and 乙 is that 甲 is the early 木, like a seed just break its shell, thus it is hard/tough and fast changing. On the other hand, 乙 is the later 木, like a seedling, which is soft and gentle. Imagine when the universe had a big boom, that's 甲, and then when it had cooled down and galaxy was forming, that's 乙.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.