This image is a chop stamp that was made for me; I was told it is not a representation of my name but of me somehow. I would love to have an accurate translation. (And to know the correct orientation as well.) enter image description here

• Maybe I'm completely off, but this looks like 「㝽㘐(哏?)藝師」. I can't make any sense of it.
    – dROOOze
    Commented Mar 31 at 4:25

1 Answer 1

Let me try. It'll take a while. First of all, the orientation is correct. The big word at the bottom left is 師, which means teacher.

And I agree with @dRooze the top left character is 蓺, which means skill or the skill of planting trees.

The right middle character is indeed 㘐, which means loud and is a variant of the commonly used word 炮, gun/cannon.

So the five words are 㝽㘐哏蓺師, or 水炮哏藝師. Are you a firefighter? This says you are the master of water cannon. Did you get this from Hongkong or Canton or where Cantonese is spoken?

• Thank you. Some of this makes sense. I am a short loud opinionated artist, singer and occasional magician. I have no idea whether any of this was considered when the chop was made. Commented Apr 2 at 20:34
  • @StevenTemkin means short, means loud, and 藝師 means master of the arts (i.e., artist).
    – dROOOze
    Commented Apr 3 at 1:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.