In this site, it is quite common to see the word "frame challenge" in answers of questions. How to translate "frame challenge"?

• I think you’re on the wrong site.
    – dROOOze
    Commented Apr 9 at 7:44
    “Frame challenge” is Stack Exchange jargon
    – Tang Ho
    Commented Apr 9 at 8:10
  • 质疑假设 is probably the most apt. 挑战假设 also works if you want to maintain the "challenge" portion.
    – Mou某
    Commented Apr 9 at 10:05

5 Answers 5

I have to know what it is to translate it, so I searched and got this:

What's a frame challenge?

A frame challenge is where an author answers a question in a wholly different way the querent never asked for, or potentially expressly forbade, but in a way the author feels will actually solve the problem.

A direct translation of "frame challenge" is 框架挑戰, which is quite understandable, instead of answering the question straight, you challenge the premise of the question itself

“Frame challenge” is Stack Exchange jargon

"Frame challenge" is not a familiar term for the general public. Only the regular users of this site know that "Frame" refers to the structure of a question. you may have to provide a translation in layman's terms, for example, "挑戰問題本身的另類答案" (Alternative answers that challenge the question itself)

Example:

Q: How do you specify past tense for 是?

A: "There's no need"

Would 腦洞大開 work? It doesn't capture the entire meaning of "frame challenge" but seems to be strangely appropriate.

• 腦洞大開 means "let imagination run wild" or "abnormal mind"
    – Tang Ho
    Commented Apr 10 at 5:35
  • Which means... the answer comes in from the left field Commented Apr 10 at 9:30

"frame challenge - 挑戰問題構架" - A frame challenge is an answer, comment (or part thereof) that doesn’t attempt to answer the question as is, but instead disputes things the asker treats as given in their question (challenges the frame/building blocks of the question).

https://academia.meta.stackexchange.com/questions/4947/frame-challenge-guidelines-idea-collection

inductive argument
归纳论证
deductive argument
演绎论证; 推断论证

Everyone can see:

1. The sun rises in the East.
  2. The sun sets in the West.

From these two facts we can both induce and deduce:

Therefore, the sun goes around the Earth.

Question: Why does the sun go around the Earth?

I would challenge your basic premises.
我质疑你的基本前提。

frame challenge: 质疑基本的前提

A Chinese equivalence to "frame challenge" is "突破思维框架", which means thinking without the limitation of the traditional ideology.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.