Adjective

1. 波浪形 = wave-shaped

2. = 波浪形;有弯曲(?)

(For this, I was uncertain, as the word "鬈" alone just has the definition of "fine" or "beautiful" hair.

Noun

As a noun, I am wondering if "鬈发" is a good translation. I couldn't find it on online dictionaries, but was able to find it by chance through a book.

When you add the character for "发" after "鬈", its definition becomes...

鬈发 = wavy hair; hair that has some curl texture in it(鬈曲的头发)

For example:

他顶着微鬈的长发 (He has a lightly wavy long hair.)

3 Answers 3

Simple way to look at it

Straight hair = 直髮

enter image description here

wavy hair/ curvy hair = 波浪形頭髮/ 曲髮

curly hair = 捲髮

Using 髮捲 (Curls) to make 捲髮 (curly hair)

捲髮 = 鬈髮

There are almost always more ways than one of expressing something!

Goldilocks: 金发姑娘 (三只熊) had straight hair (at least in Disney films), maybe she was named after the flower? 《金凤花姑娘》

卷发:形状呈卷曲的头发。curly hair or curl hair, ringlets, locks, frizzy hair
卷发:指头发因过度干燥或湿度过高而变得蓬松、卷曲、难以控制的状态。frizzy hair

她拥有一头波浪形的长发。
She has a head full of long wavy hair.

有的人长着天然卷发。
Some people have naturally frizzy hair.

要卷发要吃卷饼!

Goldilocks is thus named because she has golden locks, which just means golden hair, regardless of whether it’s straight, wavy or curly. Commented May 7 at 11:47
    The 3 Bears told me she had wavy hair! 三只熊是骗子呀! I don't know about you, but I would never refer to straight hair as locks. For me, locks are curls! I suppose I get that from the German version of Silent Night: "Holde Knabe im lockig'n Haar!" But, a straight line is part of a circle with infinite radius, you could be right!
    – Pedroski
    Commented May 7 at 16:12
    Yes, lockig in German is unambiguously curly, and if you talk about a singular lock of hair, that at least somewhat implies that it’s not just plain, straight hair. But in the plural, it just refers to a head of hair of any type, and you can find lots of examples of phrases like “her long, straight locks” in use. Commented May 7 at 17:39

Yes, 卷发 is a good translation. Depending on the context, you can also use

• 卷毛: To be a bit informal.
  • 自来卷/自然卷: If it’s natural.
  • 大波浪/小卷发: If it’s wavy/curly.

Update based on the comment

Sorry, I thought this question is about 卷发 rather than 鬈发. 鬈发 is rarely used and probably closer to curly. For wavy hair I’d use 卷发/大波浪.

卷发 juǎnfà is curly hair, and I don’t see anyone suggesting that as a translation. The question is suggesting 鬈发 quánfà, a different word (which also appears to refer to curly, rather than wavy, hair). Commented May 7 at 11:51
    You’re right. Thanks for correction.
    – kyc
    Commented May 7 at 15:38
  • I see, so 鬈 is closer to curly, or hair with curly features to it. While 波浪 would be closer to wavy
    – Monokuma
    Commented May 8 at 15:08

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.