I cannot find too much information about the official title 王府率, mentioned in the 舊唐書‧曹确傳 :

確精儒術,器識謹重,動循法度。懿宗以伶官李可及為威衛將軍,確執奏曰:「臣覽貞觀故事,太宗初定官品令,文武官共六百四十三員,顧謂房玄齡曰:『朕設此官員,以待賢士。工商雜色之流,假令術逾儕類,止可厚給財物,必不可超授官秩,與朝賢君子比肩而立,同坐而食。』太和中,文宗欲以樂官尉遲璋為王府率,拾遺竇洵直極諫,乃改授光州長史。伏乞以兩朝故事,別授可及之官。」帝不之聽。

There is another occurrence of 王府率 in the 舊唐書‧陳夷行傳, suggesting that it is of the 六品 rank :

仙韶院樂官尉遲璋授王府率,右拾遺竇洵直當衙論曰:「伶人自有本色官,不合授之清秩。」鄭覃曰:「此小事,何足當衙論列!王府率是六品雜官,謂之清秩,與洵直得否?此近名也。」嗣復曰:「嘗聞洵直幽,今當衙論一樂官,幽則有之,亦不足怪。」夷行曰:「諫官當衙,只合論宰相得失,不合論樂官。然業已陳論,須與處置。今後樂人每七八年與轉一官,不然,則加手力課三數人。」帝曰:「別與一官。」乃授光州長史,賜洵直絹百疋。夷行尋轉門下侍郎。

Finally, a comment from 胡三省 in 資治通鑒‧卷二百五十 :

⑤樂工李可及善爲新聲,三月,上以可及爲左威衞將軍,曹確諫曰︰「太宗定文武官六百餘員,謂房玄齡曰︰『朕以待天下賢士,工商雜流,不可處也。』〈處,昌呂翻。〉大和中,文宗欲以樂工尉遲璋爲王府率,〈尉,孿勿翻。東宮有十率,諸王有府率。〉拾遺竇洵直諫,卽改光州長史。乞以兩朝故事,別除可及官。」不從。

What would be an adequate translation of the official title 王府率 ? In the texts above, the emperor 文宗 wanted to assign this title to the musician 尉遲璋, so I doubt that it has a military nature like 東宮十率.

[Edit] : 尉遲璋 is actually a 伶官. The musician 李可及 in the aforementioned texts has got the title 威衛將軍, so it's likely that 王府率 has also a military nature.

The Dictionary of Official Titles in Imperial China (Charles O. Hucker) was not helpful on the matter.

one meaning of "率[shuài]" is "leader - 领导者,统帅,首领". I think 王府率 is a supervising position in the prince's residence (王府) in charge of miscellaneous works of the residence (王府琐碎事务).
    – r13
    Commented Jun 21 at 1:29

1 Answer 1

in the book “御批資治通鑑綱目”, volume 卷五十下 has an annotation (no. 190):

王府率率與帥通音所類反王府之率掌兵仗羽衛之政令總諸曹之事

王府率・率與帥通音・所類反・王府之率・掌兵仗羽衛之政令・總諸曹之事

率與帥通音: the characters “率” and “帥” share the same syllable

所類反: 所 soh2 + 類 lui6 —> sui3

王府之率: the commander of a prince’s mansion

掌兵仗羽衛之政令: superintends the orders of security personnel, guard of honour

總諸曹之事: chief of staffs affairs

so, “王府率”, might be interpreted as “prince’s mansion chamberlain“ 😸 imo

have fun 😺

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.