What is the Chinese term for "Stack Overflow" website and how do I pronounce it?

  • 7
    If you mean the Stack Overflow website, we usually don't translate the name and just call it Stack Overflow. Mar 4, 2014 at 16:52
  • If you are not asking for the Chinese name of he website then please edit your question to ask instead "What is the Chinese term for a stack overflow?" - This is a case where punctuation, capitalization, and the choice of words such as "name" vs "term" (or "word" or "called" etc) makes all the difference in the world. Mar 4, 2014 at 18:42
  • 1
    @hippietrail I am asking with regards to the <a href="stackoverflow.com/">Stack Overflow</a> website Mar 5, 2014 at 6:24
  • 5
    If you want to talk to a Chinese about the website you'd better to say "stackoverflow.com" without translation. If you use the Chinese such as "堆栈溢出", I think that nobody can figure out the website.
    – user4072
    Mar 5, 2014 at 7:30
  • 2
    I think this is a interesting question though closed. Many foreign companies are likely to have a native name when entering Chinese market. For example, HP for 惠普, MircoSoft for 微软, Google for 谷歌 and recently, LinkedIn for 领英. I think if someday StackOverflow can enter Chinese market, it'd also consider to have a native name. Actually I have one suggestion - 思达客栈. means thoughts, means arrival, 客栈 the name for some kind of traditional form of hotel+restaurants in China. Mar 13, 2014 at 4:10

4 Answers 4

Stack Overflow == 堆栈溢出

堆栈 == stack

溢出 == overflow

This is a very technical term. Only people who work in programming and other related fields would be able to understand this.

  • 1
    Like the other answers, this one is about the technical term in computing but the OP was specifically asking about the Chinese name for the website StackOverflow, and there is no Chinese name for it. Anyway it's closed as off topic because of that now. Mar 7, 2014 at 9:10
Simplified Chinese characters: 栈溢出  (used in mainland China)
Traditional Chinese characters: 堆疊溢位 (used in Hong Kong and Taiwan)

Mainland and Hong Kong/Taiwan use differnt translations in jargon terms. Stack is a jargon term meaning the memory which obeys the rule of FILO (first in last out) or LIFO (last in first out) in computer programming, which is translated to in mainland China, but is translated to 堆疊 in Hong Kong and Taiwan. Overflow is a jargon term meaning number too large and not able to express in the computer in computer programming, which is translated to 溢出 in mainland China, but is translated to 溢位 in Hong Kong and Taiwan.

  • Sadly the OP was actually asking about the Chinese name of the website StackOverflow, run by the same people that run this very site. He wasn't asking about the technical term \-: Mar 6, 2014 at 6:46
  • @hippietrail The "StackOverflow" can only be a technical term in Chinese. There is no such thing as a common term for "StackOverflow" in Chinese.
    – Victor
    Mar 7, 2014 at 5:43
  • Exactly. That's what a correct answer should say because that's what the OP is asking about. I asked them to clarify and that's what they said. Mar 7, 2014 at 9:08

Simplified Chinese: 栈溢出, or 堆栈溢出

Traditional Chinese:棧溢出, or 堆棧溢出 means Stack Overflow in English.

栈 or 堆栈 means stack, and 溢出 means overflow.


栈溢出 zhàn yì chū

堆栈溢出 duī zhàn yì chū
  • Whoever voted down this answer, please give out the reason.
    – albusshin
    Mar 4, 2014 at 20:59
  • 2
    I voted this down because the OP was asking about the name of the website Stack Overflow. (At least that's how it clearly seemed to a native English speaker by using "named" and capitalizing each word.) I also commented on the other answer and on the question for clarification in case this was not intended. Mar 5, 2014 at 5:51
  • 2
    Alright, fair enough.
    – albusshin
    Mar 5, 2014 at 9:09
  • It's not an answer to the question.
    – NS.X.
    Mar 5, 2014 at 10:10
  • 2
    Simplified Chinese: 栈溢出。 Traditional Chinese:堆疊溢位。 Mainland and Taiwan use different translations in jargon terms.
    – Victor
    Mar 6, 2014 at 0:33

According to wikipedia: 堆疊溢位 (http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%A0%86%E7%96%8A%E6%BA%A2%E4%BD%8D)

  • How do you pronounce it ?? Mar 4, 2014 at 16:14
  • 3
    This answer links to a page specifically on the subject of a computer's call stack overflowing. The OP specifically asked for the Chinese name of a website that doesn't have a name in any other language. If the OP actually meant to ask "what's the Chinese term for a stack overflow?" then it should be edited as such. Mar 4, 2014 at 18:40

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.