In what contexts are both used to mean ice-cream? Is one used in more formal occasions?

4 Answers 4


冰激凌 is the translation in Mainland China.
冰淇淋 is used in Taiwan and Hong Kong.
Hong Konger also call ice-cream as 雪糕.

  • 4
    冰淇淋 is used in mainland China too, and according to my observation in mainland, this one is used more often. While formally speaking, both of them are included in 《现代汉语词典》.
    – Stan
    Commented Apr 28, 2014 at 10:35
  • In my life experience (I grew up in northern China), 冰淇淋 is not the same as 雪糕. 雪糕 are something like a long bar, with a wooden stick to hold it. 冰淇淋 are more likely to be something inside a plastic or paper case and eaten by a wooden spoon.
    – zsf222
    Commented Apr 29, 2014 at 15:50
  • 1
    Names are really a regional thing. The bar with a stick thing is 冰棒 to me.
    – user58955
    Commented Apr 29, 2014 at 20:22
  • 冰淇淋 is used way more often than 冰激凌 in Mainland China. This answer is not correct. 雪糕 is, as zsf222 said, a slightly different form of icecream. Commented May 1, 2014 at 4:00
  • in my hometown Xi'an I only heard about 冰淇淋 but never heard 冰激凌 in childhood
    – xenophōn
    Commented Oct 19, 2017 at 3:35

They are the same and 冰淇淋 is used more offen.


Actually they are almost the same. The difference is:The most important dictionary says one is nomartive. In fact the other is quite popular. You can use either of them in daily life.


They are the same thing.

See this: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E5%86%B0%E6%B7%87%E6%B7%8B

冰 is ice. 淇淋 or 激凌 comes from English "cream", phonetically translated.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.