This has to be one of the more ambiguous words I have struggled with.

厉害 can be:

• very well performed = 玩得很厉害;
  • harsh = 骂得很厉害;
  • severe = 生病得很厉害;
  • probably a bunch of other stuff...

Can anyone give a comprehensive summary of the meanings and related contexts?

not ambiguous, just too many meanings (like the words great, like if you look up their entries in a dictionary) :p
    – prusswan
    Jan 5, 2012 at 11:22
    Don't forget that 厉害 can be easily confused with 利害 which sounds exactly the same and means pros and cons
    – TiansHUo
    Oct 10, 2012 at 4:09

6 Answers 6

It is somewhat similar in usage to the word great in English, with the following meanings I can recall:

Impressive or skilled:

他的功夫非常厉害。= He is very skilled in martial arts.

太厉害了,他是怎么做到的? = Very impressive, how did he manage to achieve that?

formidable:

厉害的角色 = A formidable figure (not one to be messed around with)

厉害的手段 = formidable tactics (in a sporting game, or as part of political intrigue)

severe:

某某股跌得太厉害了 = Stock X has taken a severe fall (in value)

However, 厉害 is not usually the phrase/word of choice to describe a performance (of the arts).

I think when 厉害 is used to describe the performance, it means "to be skillful to do, to be good at something, as you mentioned. I would say "他的三分球很厉害" He is good at three-point shot (as in basketball).
    – Huang
    Jan 5, 2012 at 14:47
  • That is true but I have this feeling that it is turning into an often-abused word (just like great and like in English) used by people are unable or too lazy to think of a more appropriate word.
    – prusswan
    Jan 6, 2012 at 12:03

prusswan's answer is great.I just want to make a supplement . 厉害 can be a noun and means

harsh(or severe) means(or way,manoeuvre,measure,etc.)

Example:

看来我得让你看看我的厉害。 It seems that I should make you know my severe means.

This is a warning to the listener that you will do something bad to him.

• You have an example sentence of when it is a noun? Jan 5, 2012 at 14:19
  • @LarsAndren Ok, I added an example to the answer.
    – Huang
    Jan 5, 2012 at 14:37
  • Very interesting example! Two excellent answers, wish I could choose both as the correct answer. Jan 5, 2012 at 15:24
  • @LarsAndren You may suggest this on meta. Well, just kidding. I think prusswan's answer is better since it's more comprehensive. For me, the up-vote is enough.
    – Huang
    Jan 5, 2012 at 15:33

厉害 can also mean quite a few things when describing a person and relies heavily on the context. For example the sentence:

他是很厉害

Has numerous possibilities and it would be wrong to assume something without further explanation.

Some examples:

• This person is very strict or harsh
  • This person has a sharp personality
  • This person is very skillful / capable

The same with the use of 太厉害. This could have a positive or negative connotation. It could describe someone who is amazingly skillful or someone that is overly strict.

• This is exactly the kind of ambiguity I was talking about. Great addition Jan 8, 2012 at 13:39

An idiomatic English translation of 厉害 might be something like "beast" or "monster." Such a person might be "very capable." Or else overly harsh, strict, or overbearing. But basically "out of control."

'厲害' could be either 'Well/Good/impressive' or 'serious'.

Example: '好厲害!' -- 'Impressive/Good/Well done!'.
'也病的太厲害了吧' -- 'Well, but, ain't that a kinda serious sick?'.

I have been quite busy preparing for my Test of Chinese as a Foreign Language (TOCFL) exam, a Mandarin certification exam held twice annually. There are five levels and I started from the third level. Translator in Beijing

• Lovely answer to another question. Jun 5, 2014 at 5:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.