In Cantonese, 對我嚟講 more or less means "speaking for myself", for instance, in:

對我嚟講,行政長官選舉唔重要。

Speaking for myself, the chief executive election isn't important.

我 can also be replaced with other pronouns: e.g. 我哋,佢,佢哋, or by a noun.

What is an equivalent expression in Mandarin? I have tried searching in Nciku, but the only thing that came up for me that seemed useful was 作为, which doesn't seem to be used in the same capacity - if I've gotten the correct impression, it's not really used in the same capacity.

I don't know Cantonese, but according to "Speaking for myself", you can get "对我来说", "就我个人而言", etc. – songyuanyao Jun 9 '14 at 6:53
  • @songyuanyao: thanks. The first expression sounds similar to what I was aiming for. (I had what was - to me anyway - probably a Cantonese equivalent but either I'd forgotten the Mandarin phrase from lack of usage or something.) – user5714 Jun 9 '14 at 6:56
    Maybe you mean "对我来讲"? If try to translate it word by word. And it's same as "对我来说". – songyuanyao Jun 9 '14 at 7:05
  • @songyuanyao: yeah, that should be it. I was (earlier) hung up on what the third character was supposed to be in Mandarin which confused me. – user5714 Jun 9 '14 at 7:07
    I think it should be "来". According to baike.baidu.com/…, zh.wikipedia.org/zh-tw/%E7%B2%B5%E8%AA%9E, baike.baidu.com/… – songyuanyao Jun 9 '14 at 7:16

对X而言:

Oxford English

his promise isn't worth a damn to me 他的承诺对我而言一文不值

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy